Aspire M3970 internal HDD maximum capacity

Options
bombolo
bombolo Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Hi, at present I have 1Tb SSD but I would like to add another internal HDD for backup and storage.
I tried a 4Tb but no joy, Bios (P02-A2) see the HDD but no window (7 home premium 64 bit SP1).
Seems I can't upgrade the BIOS, because I already have the last version, so does anybody happens to know which is the maximum capacity HDD I can add internaly?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The older machines had a 2.1TB limit. To use a larger drive you had to jump through some hoops to create multiple volumes, each under the limit and then merge them together as active disks. It's much better likely to put an 1TB or 2TB drive in and plan on an upgraded system when you reach those limits.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The older machines had a 2.1TB limit. To use a larger drive you had to jump through some hoops to create multiple volumes, each under the limit and then merge them together as active disks. It's much better likely to put an 1TB or 2TB drive in and plan on an upgraded system when you reach those limits.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bombolo
    bombolo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thaks for your reply, at present 2Tb is a quite good compromise for BU