Does Thunderbolt 3 in new Acer Swift 3 support Display Port 1.4?

kidp
kidp Member Posts: 24 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Does it have Titan Ridge controller in Thunderbolt 3?

Best Answer

• UserCV
    UserCV Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Short Answer: YES (according to Acer Manual)

Long: Those models do not need an extra Thunderbolt controller. It is integrated into the new Intel Ice Lake which natively supports thunderbolt 3 up to 5k/120Hz or 8k/60Hz
    Ice Lake also has Wifi 6 and HDMI 2.0b integrated. So it is quite lit

Answers

• Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @kidp
    Acer's notebook supports a variety of modern connections, including Thunderbolt 3, USB Type-C and DisplayPort 1.4. Despite packing powerful specs.

"Hit Accept if its Helpful" 
  • kidp
    edited December 2019
    That doesn't answer my question. I asked about a specific model and a specific thing. Only the newest Acer Swift 3 has Thunderbolt 3 and my question is does it support DisplayPort 1.4 through Thunderbolt 3 or not. Only Thunderbolt 3 with Titan Ridge controller or newer has that ability but there is no mention from Acer specs about version of DisplayPort via Thunderbolt 3.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Which specific model of Swift 3 are you asking about? There are lots of them, though most of the differences are usually language and keyboard dependent.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kidp
    edited December 2019
    There is only one line of new Acer Swift 3 with Thunderbolt 3 available of course with different config, but here you go for example model :

Acer Swift 3 i5-1035G1/8GB/512, SF314-57 || NX.HJFEP.003 or Swift 3 (SF314-57-59PT) i5-1035G1/ 16GB/ 512SSD

it really doesn't matter. What matters is the implementation of Titan Ridge controller or newer in Thunderbolt 3. If Thunderbolt 3 doesn't have that controller then it would only support DisplayPort 1.2. It is as simple as that.

• kidp
    Can anyone answer my question about supported version of DisplayPort via Thunderbolt 3 in new Acer Swift 3?
  • UserCV
    UserCV Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Short Answer: YES (according to Acer Manual)

Long: Those models do not need an extra Thunderbolt controller. It is integrated into the new Intel Ice Lake which natively supports thunderbolt 3 up to 5k/120Hz or 8k/60Hz
    Ice Lake also has Wifi 6 and HDMI 2.0b integrated. So it is quite lit
  • kidp
     Thanks a lot UserCV. It is a pity that we don't have HDMI 2.0b in that model only HDMI 1.4. Thunderbolt 3 is the only option to have 4k 60hz with HDR and Dolby Vision. The only way right now is to buy new Acer Swift 3, buy proper adapter and then check whether everything is ok, or wait for someone else to check it ;).
  • kidp
    edited December 2019
    So I guess we should close the topic
  • kidp
     Thanks a lot UserCV. It is a pity that we don't have HDMI 2.0b in that model only HDMI 1.4. Thunderbolt 3 is the only option to have 4k 60hz with HDR and Dolby Vision. The only way right now is to buy new Acer Swift 3, buy proper adapter and then check whether everything is ok, or wait for someone else to check it ;).
  • kidp