Acer Nitro 7 AN715-51-7811 can't detect built-in display (black screen) and freezes on boot.

AlexxiaWow
AlexxiaWow Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello!
I bought my laptop, installed licenced Windows 10 Pro and fully updated it on November 16. Everything was great.
PC stopped detecting the built-in display on November 29, after I took it with me to the airport and tried to turn it on while in the plane.
On November 30 I plugged in the HDMI and tried to use it with TV, but it froze trying to boot up (TV showed "No Signal" message). Sometimes it would load up, but not connect to the TV (I could change the Keyboard Brightness with Fn Keys). I believe it was working except for the display.
After some googling I tried to reset the battery, which is done by holding the On/Off button for 8 (or 12) seconds, which didn't help. After the reset it started booting like normal except for the display and then froze again.
So I found a working temporarily solution. Quckly go to Bios (F2 on boot), press F9, press Enter (Load Default Configuration), press F10, press Enter (Save and Exit).
After this I could at least use the laptop with my TV.
At the moment I can't really send or give the laptop to Acer, as I am abroad, but I will need it for work, so if anyone can help find the solution, that would be nice! :)
Googling or searching the forum for the problem didn't wield any results, so looking forward to your help!
Whatever information I can give regarding the case, I will :)

Some additional information that would (or not) help:
1. OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1909 (18363.476)
2. Attached Windows update log file.

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    What is your BIOS version?

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• AlexxiaWow

Tinkerer

andylb said:
    BIOS Version/Date: Insyde Corp. V1.09, 02.08.2019
    SMBIOS Version: 3.0

• andylb
    edited December 2019
    andylb said:

You have an old BIOS version, update your BIOS and report back. You only need V 1.23 it contains all previous updates. Below is the direct link to the BIOS update for your model, click on the BIOS/Firmware tab 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7997?b=1

Please click yes if I have answered your question, thankyou

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    Also let's do a clean uninstall and reinstall of your Graphics drivers and then setup your GPU

1. Download and run DDU for a clean uninstall
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

2. Download and install the latest Nvidia drivers from here and do not install GEforce experience, instead check the link every month for updated drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx. Geforce Experience causes problems for some people

3. Go to the Nvidia control center and under manage 3d settings/Preferred Graphics processor set to your Nvidia GPU then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU.

4. Make sure Windows is set to high performance and you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming
    Please click YES if I have answered your question, thank you

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• AlexxiaWow

Tinkerer

andylb said:
    andylb said:

You have an old BIOS version, update your BIOS and report back. You only need V 1.23 it contains all previous updates. Below is the direct link to the BIOS update for your model, click on the BIOS/Firmware tab 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7997?b=1

Please click yes if I have answered your question, thankyou
    So far I have updated the BIOS, it did not help.
    As for the DDU, I am not sure if it worked, because now the TV is not recognised by the laptop (No Signal) using any HDMI port. Might be because I didn't use Safe Mode (I am Unable to boot into safe mode by the way, the laptop simply freezes), might be because DDU deleted monitor drivers.
    Currently, I have no way to do anything on the laptop that requires seeing what I'm doing and won't be able till December 5.

P.S: I remembered another thing that changed: I had 3 Steam shortcuts which stopped working after what happened.
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    Did you do this after running DDU, yes DDU deletes your drivers that is why you have to reinstall using the method below. I understand that you have no screen available. We need to get the driver below installed and your Laptop should still have the base VGA drivers, DDU only uninstalls the Nvidia drivers

2. Download and install the latest Nvidia drivers from here and do not install GEforce experience, instead check the link every month for updated drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx. Geforce Experience causes problems for some people

3. Go to the Nvidia control center and under manage 3d settings/Preferred Graphics processor set to your Nvidia GPU then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU.

4. Make sure Windows is set to high performance and you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming
    Please click YES if I have answered your question, thank you

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• AlexxiaWow

Tinkerer

Is it possible to do this "blindly?"
  • andylb
    Is it possible to do this "blindly?"

Not really m8

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• AlexxiaWow

Tinkerer

To anyone having the same problem.
    Just go to the service and have them fix it. It's not a software problem, at least not in my case.