Hangs on logo (F5- 573-7630)

collieman
collieman Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I obtained an Acer laptop (F5- 573-7630) that hangs on the green Acer logo for about 4 minutes before changing to a black screen that also hangs for about 2 minutes then changes to the lock screen that also hangs for about 2 minutes.  Then the desktop takes another 3 minutes to load.  But after the desktop finally loads the computer works just fine. I gave it a VERY good cleaning, removing anything that wasn't needed. The computer was clean when I received it.  No malware, spyware or viruses.  Ran multiple scans on everything and found nothing but still didn't make any difference.  The computer still takes about 10 minutes to load to where I can use it. The next thing I did was to take out the hard drive, install another drive that was formatted and install a new Win 10.  It made no difference, the computer STILL takes forever to boot to desktop with NOTHING installed.  I'm now thinking it might be a corrupted BIOS.  The person I got it from said it was very slow from the minute he bought it.  I hate to mess with BIOS updates but I might have to.  Might a BIOS update fix the problem?  Thank you.

Comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    I'd be surprised if a BIOS update fixed the problem, mostly because there are various checks when booting to verify the BIOS hasn't been modified and I'd expect a corrupted version would get flagged by that process. I assume you did a reset to defaults (F9, then F10 to save) in the BIOS to make sure there wasn't something weird in how he had is set up? When you did the clean install, did it have a long wait before booting the flash drive you installed from? What happens when you boot to something like a Linux Live image? It could be hardware with the SATA interface portion of the chipset causing long reads.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • collieman
    Thanks for your reply.  I did set the BIOS to default but no change.  No, there wasn't a long wait in booting of the flash drive for the install. Never tried a Linux live CD.  Didn't think of it but I will now.  Thank you.
  • collieman
    I was able to run Ubuntu Live CD with no problem.  Booted to the CD without issue.