Laptop keeps freezing

cassandrar
cassandrar Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
So, I've had this laptop for a little over a year. It gave me horrible problems when I first started using it and then I found ways so that it wouldn't freeze up any time I did literally anything.

But recently my laptop has started freezing 3 to 4 times per day and I have to hard restart it. Like, it literally freezes.Nothing will work. If I close it it won't sleep or do anything, it just remains frozen. This usually only happens when I use google chrome. I'll be on it, and then then the pages won't load and I'll close the whole browser. And then I try to reopen it and that's when it just freezes up.

I've looked at the Task Manager and it always says 'Google Chrome (6)', for example, no matter what. I don't know if that's normal. It does 'Firefox (5)', as that's what i'm using right now, but I've yet to have my laptop freeze on me.

I've not a clue what's going on. I could literally be playing Sims 4 for hours without a single issue but then any time I use chrome it'll just freeze and I'll have to hard restart and I'm having a difficult time understanding why this is. I've done scans, I've used RevoUninstall to get rid of old garbage and clutter, I've deleted apps I don't need, I've fixed my Startup apps so that my laptop runs more smoothly, and still, it does it.

Mind you, it's only been a couple of days. I don't know what's causing it.

If someone can help, please do. It's getting frustrating and this is my second try with Acer as my first try was in 2014 and the laptop was an absolute nightmare. I don't have it in my budget right now to buy a new laptop so I'll need to make due.

So please help!

Answers

• Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @cassandrar

To run a system file check (SFC)

Go to start>Type CMD

Right click and run as Administrator

And type sfc /scannow, then delete the Temp files:- How to delete the Temp files:- Go to start>Type %temp% select all files and delete it,

"Hit Accept if its Helpful" 

• cassandrar
    cassandrar Member Posts: 2 New User
    @Tom2019, I tried this and it didn't work. My laptop just froze again after I was on Chrome and when I ended the task and tried to restart my computer, it wouldn't restart so I had to hard restart.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Try uninstalling Chrome completely then reboot and use Firefox to reinstall it from the Google page. You may have a third party modified version of Chrome or just a bad version.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.