Unable to use live USB as a boot option in BIOS settings

ferociousmadman
ferociousmadman Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Acer Nitro AN515-54. Recently, I created a live bootable USB for CorePlus-current (this is Tiny Core Linux Plus). However, in the BIOS settings, no USB is showing up as a boot option.

Secure boot and fast boot are both disabled. UEFI is the only option available (Legacy is not available, nor are there any other options). This is not changeable because Acer only has UEFI as an option. They have intentionally removed legacy as an option (or any other options as an option).

Furthermore, this stick works properly, just not on this machine. I've tried each of the 3 ports, and get the same result each time. I have the latest BIOS firmware as well, so that is not an issue.

At this point I'm kind of at my wits' end as to how to fix this problem on this machine, and need help with being able to boot from the USB as a live option. I am not interested in installing this in a dual partition.

Best Answer

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Sorry, bit tired tonight but i get it - just made a tiny stick and its a legacy 32 bit stick and you haven't got the option for CSM (legacy mode) under the boot tab in the bios....insydeh20 are simply terrible at legacy support, or rather lack of it, and unless you can "unlock" the mythical features that seem to be posted around the web, then you're out of luck with the stick you have.  (ps.  works fine on my new thinkpad, but that has a decently compiled bios tha allows for csm support).  However, this bunch (see link) are (allegedly) uefi as they do create a efi folder required for a boot file, but it doesn't work from just making a bootable stick.  Your best bet is to log into the tiny forum and dig around or ask.  I wish you luck with that.

http://tinycorelinux.net/10.x/x86_64/release/

Answers

• Gawain
    in the bios, enable the f12 boot option (might need to assign an admin/supervisor password if the option is greyed out).  save and exit, and with the stick already plugged in, tap away on f12. 
  • ferociousmadman
    edited November 2019

Gawain said:
    in the bios, enable the f12 boot option (might need to assign an admin/supervisor password if the option is greyed out).  save and exit, and with the stick already plugged in, tap away on f12. 
    Already have enabled it and tried that route in the past, I also tried it before after assigning an admin password. It didn't show up.
  • ferociousmadman

Also, when trying to convert the USB to GPT, I get this error:

• Gawain
    Answer ✓
    Sorry, bit tired tonight but i get it - just made a tiny stick and its a legacy 32 bit stick and you haven't got the option for CSM (legacy mode) under the boot tab in the bios....insydeh20 are simply terrible at legacy support, or rather lack of it, and unless you can "unlock" the mythical features that seem to be posted around the web, then you're out of luck with the stick you have.  (ps.  works fine on my new thinkpad, but that has a decently compiled bios tha allows for csm support).  However, this bunch (see link) are (allegedly) uefi as they do create a efi folder required for a boot file, but it doesn't work from just making a bootable stick.  Your best bet is to log into the tiny forum and dig around or ask.  I wish you luck with that.

http://tinycorelinux.net/10.x/x86_64/release/