Camera not detected after system restore. Chromebook 14 CB3-431

Options
CliffordS
CliffordS Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2019 in Chromebooks
ACER Chromebook 14 CB3-431

I had to perform a system restore after ill-advisedly setting the chrome://flags "dark mode" rendered my Chromebook unusable in all but the Guest account. Could not even initiate a Power Wash.

After the restore everything came up fine as Chrome OS 77, and updated itself to 78 as it was prior to the restore.

However the camera is now not detected.  The camera app says "Your camera is currently unavailable", and Google Duo Android, Web and Chrome apps all show "no camera found". - only microphone, which works fine.  There are no camera related settings in the Chromebook Settings (not sure there were before to be honest - it just worked - for three years until now.

I have tried a hardware reset.  I have not performed a powerwash because I'd only just performed a System Restore, so there seems little point.  It is as if the restore media omitted camera support.

Answers

• Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi @CliffordS

1. Press the refresh  key and power key at the same time. This will perform a hard reboot of the system which may resolve the issue. Note: This will not delete any open files. After the reboot, try again.

2. Check if the Chromebook recognizes the webcam. Go to Settings -> Advanced -> Privacy -> Content settings -> Media.

Camera settings in Chrome

3. Check if the drop-down box shows the camera. If the camera shows, go to step 

• If after re-installing the app, the webcam still does not work, another app may be interfering. To confirm this, log out of the Chromebook and sign in as Guest. Open Chrome and go to a website that uses a webcam, like Skype. If the webcam works, this is a software conflict issue. To resolve this, try resetting the browser settings back to the default. For more information on what will change, google reset settings. To perform the reset, go to Settings -> Advanced -> Reset settings.

• CliffordS

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    Options
    Thanks Tom2019.  As I said :
    There are no camera related settings in the Chromebook Settings.

I have seen that same screenshot elsewhere in help forums, it appears to be an older version of Chrome OS (or possibly Chrome on some other platform?) - those options do not appear, and I have used the settings search to find anything related.  Chrome OS 78 splits Chrome OS specific settings out of the browser and onto the System Menu.  I have checked both system and browser settings.

System settings:

Browser settings:

If after re-installing the app, the webcam still does not work, another app may be interfering. 

That is not the issue I think - it is not an app issue.  Camera app:

Duo app settings:

The camera does not work in "Guest" either so unlikely to be an app interference issue.

• CliffordS

Tinkerer

Options
    @Tom2019 said:
    To perform the reset, go to Settings -> Advanced -> Reset settings.
    Tried that already, though this has occurred immediately after a system restore, so I would not expect it to have had nay effect.  Essentially I have tried everything suggested on any forum already - apart from power wash (as I said this is a fresh system restore - I am hoping to avoid setting up again and doubt that it will have any effect given this is a fresh restore already).

The problem I was originally solving with the system restore was identical to this: https://support.google.com/chromebook/thread/17843161?hl=en.  It solved the problem, but the camera stopped working.  First time in 5 years as a Chromebook user and on second Chromebook, and never had any problems until now. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    Did you get any response to your webcam issue on the google forums? Cuz about the only thing we can suggest here is what you already don't want to do to rule in or rule out a hardware issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CliffordS

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Did you get any response to your webcam issue on the google 
    Just stock answers to try stuff I already tried, or complete misunderstanding of the issue.  I am perhaps putting it down to coincidence that a hardware fault occurred at the same time.
  • JackE
    Options
    Maybe. But to help confirm the coincidence, I suggest the power wash. Nothing to lose at this point except the time to do it.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CliffordS

Tinkerer

Options
    Indeed I have since performed a hard-reset, a power wash and even repeated the system recovery.

I have used the crosh shell to dump the kernel log using dmsg (attached).  No evidence of a camera present.   I guess it is a USB device?  The only USB device in the log are two root-hubs and the Bluetooth.

I attached an external USB camera which worked, and that generated a corresponding log - not included in the attached file which was created after a hard-reset with the external camera detached.

• JackE
    edited November 2019
    Options
    The LCD cable has likely developed trace breaks in the hinge area from wear & tear of opening/closing the lid. Part number 50.GC2N5.004. About $20 usd. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CliffordS

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    The LCD cable has likely developed trace breaks in the hinge area from wear & tear of opening/closing the lid. Part number 50.GC2N5.004. About $20 usd. Jack E/NJ

Thanks - seems not so easy to source in the UK unfortunately.
  • CliffordS

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok found it:  https://www.stuff-uk.net/p-2681695.aspx?ss  Might have a go after I get a new Chromebook - I have a family member who will appreciate it.
  • JackE
    Options
    Not in stock. You might try CentralPoint or Ebay. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CliffordS

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok found it:  https://www.stuff-uk.net/p-2681695.aspx?ss  Might have a go after I get a new Chromebook - I have a family member who will appreciate it.
  • paday26
    paday26 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi Guys, did you ever get to the bottom of the camera not working as i.m now having trouble
  • CliffordS

Tinkerer

Options
    I am pretty sure that it was a cable fault for it to appear disconnected. However replaced it with an HP Chromebook 15, and passed the Acer to a family member who did not need the camera, so I have not attempted the repair.  As it happens the HP has developed a similar fault - only in that case it is intermittent and comes and goes when you move the hinge - so more obviously a cable fault.  It is however under warranty and has today been returned for repair.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I am pretty sure that it was a cable fault>>>passed the Acer to a family member who did not need the camera>>>
    >>>As it happens the HP has developed a similar fault>>>It is however under warranty and has today been returned for repair.>>>

I guess this proves that some folks seem to get all the luck.   :s   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Adebrtin
    Adebrtin Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Check this https://appuals.com/camera-not-working-on-chromebook-fix/, hope the problem will solve
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Adebrtin,

Good to know thanks for your information. It will be useful for many people. ​