HDD to SSD upgrade on the Nitro 5 AN515-52

NaderAlsebai
NaderAlsebai Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone, my device came stock with a 1TB HDD, 128GB M.2 SSD (which windows is installed on). I'm willing to upgrade my HDD to a 1TB samsung evo860 SATA SSD. Is this a good move? will I face any problems if my device is running 2 SSD's? any compatibility issues? I would appreciate it if someone gave me some recommendations regarding the process. 
Thank You,

Comments

• Why don't you opt for a 860evo m2 2280? 

That way you would keep the hdd. Your notebook also supports ssd nvme!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • NaderAlsebai
    NaderAlsebai Member Posts: 2 New User
    why would I do that? I don't wanna go into the process of reinstalling windows, Im not running out of space on my stock ssd, and also my point is that an hdd to ssd upgrade is always better than ssd to ssd, isn't it? 
  • I did not realize that your model come with a ssd m2 2280 of 128g! lol!
    In this case, yes you can get a 2.5 "1db sata 3 ssd!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Mainerunr
    Mainerunr Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited November 2019
    why would I do that? I don't wanna go into the process of reinstalling windows, Im not running out of space on my stock ssd, and also my point is that an hdd to ssd upgrade is always better than ssd to ssd, isn't it? 
    You would not have to reinstall.  Use something to image your drive, then restore the image (Macrium Reflect can do it).  You will need a bootable USB and an external drive to store the image (although you may be able to store the image on your hdd).

Should be no issue with running two ssd's, my AN715 came with a 512gb nvme ssd and I added a 2.5" 500gb Samsung 860 Evo that I pulled out of my old laptop.  Probably going to add a second nvme drive down the road.  Speaking of which, if you have a second m.2 slot, I would go that route.  NVME drives are quite a bit faster than SATA connected ssd's.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Yes, there's no technical reason why two SSDs would be an issue. You likely won't see the performance increase doing that change to a boot drive gives you though, the increase will be determined more by what's reading and writing to the data drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.