Aspire F 15 F5-572G-52AQ doesn’t open Debian/Ubuntu live usbs

starplatinum
starplatinum Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Sorry if the title sounds weird. My computer’s model is Aspire F 15 F5-572G-52AQ

Whenever I try to open an live Ubuntu/Debian distro, my computer greets me with the “System doesn’t have USB boot option” message and then leads me to open the Windows Boot mananger (sometimes Linpus Lite too).
My computer opens other distros fine(like Mageia, Pclinuxos, Pisi Linux, Puppy linux and more) but refuses to open Debian/Ubuntu distros. I’ve tried to open Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Elementary OS, etc. It also doesn’t opens Fedora, Slax and Reactos and distros that use GNOME DE(not really sure about that though.)
Does it has something to do with Linpus Lite? Sorry if this makes no sense though.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    (1) Are you using the exact same USB port in all attempts to boot?

(2) Take a Puppy, Mageia or other distro stick that works, then re-do the stick with Cinnamon 19.2.

(3) If the Cinnamon stick that worked with Puppy, but doesn't with Cinnamon, then post the issue on  the Cinnamon Mint forums. The Mint forums are one of the best.

Here is the exact procedure for dual boot Mint. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/598047/#Comment_598047

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    LinpusLite is the installation software that Mint uses to install. Very commonly used for many installation distros. For the intermittent behavior, re-enter the BIOS menu. Go to the  main tab and make sure the F12 boot option enabled.  If you still get intermittent results, I suspect that the USB sticks that you're using are not very reliable or that your USB port contacts are dirty. External drive reliability issues are partly the reasons why dual boot is preferred to running live USB sessions. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Sounds like either you're sometimes using the wrong USB port or the USB sticks with the installation isos are MBR partitioned for BIOS. If you're still having problems, try installing LinuxMint Cinnamon 19.2 iso on a Rufus prepared USB stick for UEFI bootstrapper. You likely will not be disappointed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• starplatinum

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Sounds like either you're sometimes using the wrong USB port or the USB sticks with the installation isos are MBR partitioned for BIOS. If you're still having problems, try installing LinuxMint Cinnamon 19.2 iso on a Rufus prepared USB stick for UEFI bootstrapper. You likely will not be disappointed. Jack E/NJ
    I tried two different USBs and still failed to boot Ubuntu/Debian derivatives. I’m not partitioning in BIOS either, I use Rufus to burn the ISOSs to my usbs, and Mageia, Puppy etc boot fine.

I also tried to boot Linux Mint Cinnamon once, but got the same message :(
  • JackE
    Answer ✓

(2) Take a Puppy, Mageia or other distro stick that works, then re-do the stick with Cinnamon 19.2.

(3) If the Cinnamon stick that worked with Puppy, but doesn't with Cinnamon, then post the issue on  the Cinnamon Mint forums. The Mint forums are one of the best.

Here is the exact procedure for dual boot Mint. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/598047/#Comment_598047

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• starplatinum

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Jack E/NJ

Thanks for your reply.

I burned Mint Cinnamon 19.2 on the same USB I can boot Mageia and Puppy with.
    I got the same message but this time an opiton to boot “Linpus Lite” appeared. I selected this and it actually booted Linux Mint :D the problem is that the option doesn’t appears all the time. How can I fix that?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    LinpusLite is the installation software that Mint uses to install. Very commonly used for many installation distros. For the intermittent behavior, re-enter the BIOS menu. Go to the  main tab and make sure the F12 boot option enabled.  If you still get intermittent results, I suspect that the USB sticks that you're using are not very reliable or that your USB port contacts are dirty. External drive reliability issues are partly the reasons why dual boot is preferred to running live USB sessions. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• starplatinum

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    What do you mean by the BIOS menu? I’m using them in UEFI. You’re right though, I haven’t cleaned my PC for a long time :’D
  • JackE
    OK, the UEFI bootstrapper menu.  :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ