Acer Aspire VN7-793G crackling noise that starts slowly and softly and then intensifies.

System
System Member Posts: 4,543 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives

Comments

• AardvarkNews
    AardvarkNews Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

This is an old threat, but I hope someone from Acer would look into this.
    I have the same problem, a crackling noise that starts slowly and softly and then intensifies.
    I have 4 external USB hard disks connected (with a 12 port USB HUB), a USB cooling pad and I use external speakers and an extra monitor.
    I can confirm that it is more the ambient temperature than the temperature of the CPU or GPU that makes the noise starting. I checked both temp. with HWINFO and they are not very high.
    I can confirm also that the noise does not appear when I disconnect all peripherals. I ran Heaven Benchmark 4.0 for at least 10 minutes without noise. I restarted with everything connected and after 10 seconds the crackling started again while running Heaven Benchmark.
    As I said, I use external speakers, so normally the built-in speakers are disabled, but the noise is there anyway.
    My cooling pad is not helping much, but I now use a room ventilator, directed at the laptop and that helps. It's ridiculous, but it's the only way I can use my laptop. When the room temperature is below 18 °C then I have no problem.
    Laptop is a Acer Aspire VN7-793G.
    I hope an Acer technician will look into this and come up with a solution. In the meantime, I will disconnect the internal speaker and see if that solves this mystery.
  • AardvarkNews

Tinkerer

AardvarkNews said:
    In the meantime, I will disconnect the internal speaker and see if that solves this mystery.
    I have disconnected the speakers (there's just one plug for both speakers) and of course the crackling sound has gone away.
    I just hope that the noise was not some kind of warning that something was indeed overheating, but anyway, it seems like everything is running smoothly.
    Only problem is that I now have no sound when using my PC as a laptop, but that happens very rarely, so I can live with that.
    I'm curious if Acer will ever react to these posts. After all, it seems like it's something that more people are experiencing.

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    AardvarkNews said:
    In the meantime, I will disconnect the internal speaker and see if that solves this mystery.
    I have disconnected the speakers (there's just one plug for both speakers) and of course the crackling sound has gone away.
    I just hope that the noise was not some kind of warning that something was indeed overheating, but anyway, it seems like everything is running smoothly.
    Only problem is that I now have no sound when using my PC as a laptop, but that happens very rarely, so I can live with that.
    I'm curious if Acer will ever react to these posts. After all, it seems like it's something that more people are experiencing.

This is a community Forum of users trying to help each other and is not a portal to Acer. I would contact Acer support for your region.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/#_ga=2.178343012.1565315166.1568641242-218381942.1567545004

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    If I were to make a guess I'd say you are having power problems with the external USB hub. Try moving the power supply for the hub to a different connection that the laptop is using. Very often the hubs use ungrounded power supplies and you might be hearing feedback noise transmitted through the USB connection.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AardvarkNews

Tinkerer

andylb said:

This is a community Forum of users trying to help each other and is not a portal to Acer. I would contact Acer support for your region.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/#_ga=2.178343012.1565315166.1568641242-218381942.1567545004
    Thank you for your reply. I have contacted Acer Technical Support but they didn't know the problem and they had no solution. They proposed to bring in the laptop for repair. But as it's out of warranty I will keep using it with the internal speakers disconnected and "Laptop Fan Control" installed.