Acer Nitro N50-600 i5 8GB 1TB 128GB GTX1050 - "Reboot and select proper boot device..."

UKPortista
UKPortista Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I purchased the "Acer Nitro N50-600 i5 8GB 1TB 128GB GTX1050 (Windows 10)" Desktop PC from Argos a couple of months ago and yesterday I received a black screen with a "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key" message.

No additional components have been installed - just the wireless mouse/keyboard usb dongle (installed from day 1) & a DVD film that was in the drive (which had been sat in there for a couple of weeks and has now been removed).

I've seen various Youtube fixes for other PCs (some of which are quite dated now) but none for the Acer Nitro N50 with Windows 10 and I don't want to start messing around in BIOS until I have a clearer picture of what I'm supposed to be doing with this model.

Any assistance / advice would be gratefully received. 

Cheers
Portista

Answers

• Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @UKPortista

Causes of this Error...

1. Incorrect boot order.
    2. Partition not set as active.
    3. Hard disk failure.

NOTE: Some of the solutions below require the use of the Microsoft Windows setup CD/DVD or USB.

1. Check Boot Order

The simplest fix for this error is to make sure your computer’s boot order correctly list your hard disk as the 1st option.

To check the boot order...

a. Restart your computer
    b. Access your BIOS menu.
    c. Go to the Boot tab.
    d. Change the boot order so that your computer’s HDD is listed first.
    e. Save the settings.
    f. Restart your computer.

"Hit Accept if its Helpful"