I'm really hoping someone else has experienced this and found a fix. I got this laptop yesterday, and proceeded to format it and install W10 Enterprise. I did a speed test before formatting, and was able to get around 160Mbit/s, which is correct for my network. After formatting, I only get from 50-80Mbit/s download speed (upload speed is the same before and now, around 16Mbit/s). To clarify, when connecting with a LAN cable, I get the full 160Mbit/s speed, before and now.
And yes, I have tried multiple sources to verify that the transfer speeds are that slow (Steam ALWAYS downloads games at around 20MB/s on my network - now I only get 5-10MB/s). According to task manager, it is running 802.11AC and the signal input is 400Mbit/s.
Now, I have tried everything in my power to fix this, except format the computer again.
I have tried the following (that I can remember right now):
- Have restarted the router
- First tried updating drivers manually, which didn't help.
- Then I tried updating ALL drivers (with Driver Fusion, which is good at finding the latest drivers for almost any device)
- Windows is updated to 1809; have run through Windows Update 4 or 5 times
- Have tried speedtesting with and without the Killer Control Center installed. Have also tried setting bandwidth manually in the application, along with switching priorities to give preference to whatever process did the bandwidth test.
- Ran the Killer Uninstall application, which completely removes all traces of the software and drivers, THEN I installed just the drivers to try that, and then I installed the control center again to try once more.
- I have run Windows disk cleanup
- Run through Ccleaner, both disk cleanup and registry fixes
- I have checked my router to see if it imposed some kind of speed limit on my computer since I have downloaded 160ish GB worth of data in less than a day, but there is no such limit set on it. I also set up my Galaxy Note 9 as a hotspot and connected to that and did another test - about the same results (on a different network).
- My 2016 Lenovo T560 work laptop has NO problems benching 160Mbit/s consistently.
- Last thing I tried was to manually place the WiFi card in the AC mode, instead of the AX mode, since my router is limited to AC speeds. Also tried setting preference to the 5GHz band.
None of this has made any positive difference. I'm starting to lose my cool over this. It's worth noting that I have a degree in IT and work as a system analyst, so I am fairly competent at troubleshooting issues. It has been a long time since I encountered a more frustrating issue than this (on a personal computer).
Please someone help!
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]