Adding an SSD to AN515-53

kcflorida
kcflorida Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have the Nitro AN515-53 and have no room left on it for downloads of games and system updates.  It has a 256 SDD and I was told I can add another 256 SDD to it. This seems pretty easy to do.  Is this the best solution to fix this problem. Can anyone tell specifically what SDD I need to upgrade my computer. 

Best Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    I hope I can clear up your confusion. Option 1: Add a 1Tb HDD in your HDD bay and yes 2.5" because 3.5" does not fit. Option 2: Add up to a 1Tb SSD by replacing your existing 256gb SSD, it's your choice. Personally i would leave the 250 gb SSD there and add 1tb HDD. You cannot have 2 SSD's

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    Answer ✓
    kcflorida said:
    Great!  Thanks!  
    Is it worth is to get 2TB HDD for a minimal cost difference? 
    Yes you can install a 2Tb HDD and really it depends on how much storage you feel you will need in the future. If cost is not a factor then a 2Tb would be fine and you could grow into it. please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• Hi,
    You can upgrade the M.2 SSD to either 512GB or a 1TB M.2 SSD, if you want the cheaper option, keep the 256GB for booting only(leave only OS in the drive) and install a 2.5" HDD in the bay for your data. You can use a M.2 NVMe SSD or a M.2 SATA in your model.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555710/i-have-the-an515-53-55h5-and-want-to-add-pcie-nvme-m-2-ssd-and-in-future-more-ram
    https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/nitro-an515-53
  • kcflorida
    Bear with me.  I'm not very computer savvy but trying to figure this out as Best Buy was zero help!

Can I keep the existing 256GB SSD and add another SSD in the extra bay?  If so what is the max GB SSD I can place in there?  In my research I thought I read it could only take another 256GB but now I can't find that info.  
    This is my sons laptop and I want to be sure he has the room on it he needs and we aren't just wasting money and will have to do this again soon.  
    When we bought the laptop we were told it was better to have SSD than an HDD? So am I better off getting another 256GB SSD if that is the max or adding and 1TB HDD?
    He uses his laptop for school, his oculus rift and a few other games.

Thank you!

• andylb
    edited November 2019
    The better balance is one SSD for fast load times on booting and a large HDD for storage. that is the configuration most go for. Add a 1Tb HDD

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• kcflorida
    If it helps its an AN515-53-55G9
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    he better balance is one SSD for fast load times on booting and a large HDD for storage. that is the configuration most go for. Add a 1Tb HDD you will also need the HDD upgrade bracket. Watch this how to video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB6bLuzMnPI

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• kcflorida
    Yes, I watched a similar video and it looks pretty simple.  I was just confused on which was the best option and what specifically to get. 

Will something like this work or are there better options?
    Alos, I opened the bottom compartment and it looks like it has the plug and a bracket there.  Is that all I need? 

• andylb
    Both of those are exact matches to spec and they are very good, I would go with the Barracuda. If the bracket and plug are there you are good to go

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited November 2019
    if you're going to go for a conventional drive (like those you've listed), you better off with this model (check the rotation speeds - your pic 5400rpm, which spins slower than 7200rpm), although the cache is smaller  (much better still would an ssd 1tb sata for around $100)
    https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-3-5-Inch-ST1000DM010/dp/B01LNJBA2I/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=seagate+1tb+barracuda+3.5&qid=1574805330&sr=8-1
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    @Gawain

I think you accidentally gave him a link to a 3.5 inch HDD..  woops.  :)
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    JordanB said:
    @Gawain

And many companies have announced they are stopping the production of 2.5 inch 7200 rpm HDD's, Seagate is one of them

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• kcflorida
    Can anyone confirm that this model can only have a 256GB SSD added or can a 1TB SSD be added?  Would this be best?

Or others say to add a 1TB HDD instead. This needs to be a 2.5 correct?  

I'm getting confused?
    I appreciate all the help!!
  • andylb
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    I hope I can clear up your confusion. Option 1: Add a 1Tb HDD in your HDD bay and yes 2.5" because 3.5" does not fit. Option 2: Add up to a 1Tb SSD by replacing your existing 256gb SSD, it's your choice. Personally i would leave the 250 gb SSD there and add 1tb HDD. You cannot have 2 SSD's

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• kcflorida
    Great!  Thanks!  
  • andylb
    Answer ✓
    kcflorida said:
    Great!  Thanks!  
    Yes you can install a 2Tb HDD and really it depends on how much storage you feel you will need in the future. If cost is not a factor then a 2Tb would be fine and you could grow into it. please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    JordanB said:
    @Gawain

shoot!  Oh yea, you made me laugh today so thanks!  Lets try this one instead   =)

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-1TB-SSD-WDS100T2B0A/dp/B073SBQMCX/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=1tb+ssd+wd&qid=1574847262&sr=8-1