Upgrading original Aspire internal hard drive to Solid State. Aspire ATC-705-UC52

Pyramid
Pyramid Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
With Black Friday & Cyber Monday approaching I want to upgrade my original internal factory hard drive to a Internal Solid State Drive.  I would like to go with a Internal 1 TB or 2 TB depending on the best deal that would replace the original HD.

Are these SSD a direct replacement in size or will have to buy a bracket to make it fit inside the bay?

Also, will I still use the same cable that plugs into the MB from the old HD?

My PC is used for home computing not gaming.

I would also like to know what brand, etc, you prefer?

Thank you in advance for your professional help.

Desktop Specifications
  • Aspire ATC-705-UC52 
  • 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 Processor
  • 1TB SATA Hard Drive
  • 12GB DDR3 Memory
  • WINDOWS 10 64-BIT PRO

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited November 2019
    should be a straight swap (sata drive, i think your's is sata 2 but sata 3's are backward compatible).  if you are ditching the old drive, then you can use that bracket (if it has one) as the mounting holes for the screws are standard place, standard size.  As for brands, well, so many around but max transfer speeds don't mean sustained transfer speeds.   I use samsung/kingston/intel and recently WD blue which personally i find is value for money, as WD were late to the ssd market, don't advertise loads and haven't got a reputation like samsung, but thats just my opinion.  2.5" drive will use the same cable too.  As its a desktop, just take a look inside also.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    You will need an adapter to allow mounting the 2.5" drive in the 3.5" bay, but other than that it's pretty much a slam dunk. If you want to keep your old HDD as a data drive you will want another SATA cable. There are three SATA connectors on the MB, the black one should stay connected to the ODD since it's SATA2 instead of SATA3.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.