Acer Spin3 N16P9 - Multiple Window Failures

baldwin274
baldwin274 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Last ditch effort before calling the computer a lost cause.   The laptop is about 2 years old.  Worked great for first year then started getting misc blue screens from Windows,  Some referenced video fault, some general fault, a few memory faults.   I've reached out to Acer which no longer covers the laptop because warranty is out.  3rd party just wanted me to ship it in with a blank check to repair.  I've since then removed everything off the computer.  I've done a factory reinstall 3 times. I've pulled the bottom panel off.  It looks really clean. I've pulled the memory sim and clean JIC.  I don't want to start replacing components randomly.  I was hoping someone else might have had the same issues and found a solution.  If it helps, the errors sometimes popup while on line.  IE shopping or online games like POGO. Could be coincidence because the computer wasn't used much for stand alone programs.   Lastly there doesn't seem to be a commonality to the failures.  Sometimes you get the blue screen after a couple hours.   Sometimes not at all and sometimes every 15 mins.  On occasion the blue screen won't pop up but the program will hang or drop out.  Again intermittently. 
The computer is the newest and nicest in our house, I would hate to trash it because of this issue, but at the moment, it's useless.

Comments

• baldwin274

Tinkerer

Looks like this is unique to me then.  Then has anyone had any luck getting an estimated price from 3rd party.  I don't get a warm fuzzy when trying to interact with them. 
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    when you say "a factory reinstall", do you mean a complete 10 from scratch using an .iso from MS's website?  
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Yes, it would help to know whether you are running with Acer's video drivers, Microsoft's video drivers or a different set. If you installed from a Windows image I'd guess it's got drivers through Windows update. You might try removing them and installing the ones from Acer's support site.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • baldwin274

Tinkerer

By factory restore I mean pressing F10 or what ever it was and doing a complete “like it came from the factory “ restore. Uses a recovery partition as I understand it. Installs Win 10 and all the added software that comes with an Acer. 

I’ve been debating trialing Linux on it long enough to see if it continues to crash. 
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    well, if f10 isn't doing the trick, then personally i'd put a completely clean install of 10 on it from a downloaded .iso, although i would use linux anyway (i use it most of the time), it's not for everyone's taste, but making a bootable usb stick (lots of instructions on youtube and on the individual distribution sites etc) would and you can "live" boot from a usb stick without actually installing it, just to see if wi fi, pad, sound etc work and see if you like it.
  • baldwin274

Tinkerer

Thx, I would probably just install Slackware. It’s the one I’m most familiar with. Still live boot might be less of a commitment. I’ll consider it.  
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Definitely do the live boot thing for long enough to be sure the problem is with Windows or with the hardware!
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.