5G Wifi constantly disconnects on Nitro 5

nathancd
nathancd Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just bought a Nitro 5 AN515-54 today. While setting up. I noticed every now and then my 5g wifi stops working and the caution sign is in the wifi signal icon. Upon troubleshooting, it tells me that "Windows can't detect networks proxy settings" but I don't use a proxy. I've searched around with people having the same problem and done things such as changing my DNS to OpenDNS' addresses, unchecking the 'allow computer to turn off device' in the device manager of the wifi driver as well as turning off power save mode on the advanced tab. I also searched online for new drivers for the adapter but the latest one is 20.120.0.4 which is the same version as the one I have now. My laptop uses an Intel Wireless AC 9560 160MHz Adapter.

Answers

• if your WiFi is getting disconnected frequently, it might be due to WiFi Sense feature. To fix this problem, you’ll have to disable WiFi Sense on your Windows 10 PC. To do that, you just need to follow these steps:

1. Open the Settings app and go to Network & Internet section.
    2. In the left pane choose Wi-Fi and click on Manage Wi-Fi settings.
    3. Now disable Connect to suggested open hotspots and Connect to networks shared by my contacts options.

After disabling these options, the problem should be resolved and your WiFi connection should start working without any problems.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • nathancd

Tinkerer

if your WiFi is getting disconnected frequently, it might be due to WiFi Sense feature. To fix this problem, you’ll have to disable WiFi Sense on your Windows 10 PC. To do that, you just need to follow these steps:

1. Open the Settings app and go to Network & Internet section.
    2. In the left pane choose Wi-Fi and click on Manage Wi-Fi settings.
    3. Now disable Connect to suggested open hotspots and Connect to networks shared by my contacts options.

After disabling these options, the problem should be resolved and your WiFi connection should start working without any problems.

I don't have the 'Manage Wi-Fi settings' for some reason. Also, it's not really that my wifi disconnects from my laptop, but occasionally I get no internet from my 5g wifi and the caution sign appears on the wifi icon. After a little while it goes back to normal though. Never had a problem connecting and staying on the 5g wifi on my previous laptop that is fairly new.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    The system may be shutting down the 5G for power savings when not in active use. Check in Device Manager to see what the driver is set for.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nathancd

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    The system may be shutting down the 5G for power savings when not in active use. Check in Device Manager to see what the driver is set for.
    I've actually updated the network drivers to the latest version and I've set whatever had to do with power savings/management to off but I still have the same problem. Sometimes I can go hours with no problems but sometimes it can even take only half an hour and I see the caution sign come back saying there's no internet. Upon troubleshooting, sometimes it doesn't fix and the caution sign stays, saying 'windows can't detect proxy settings' but when it does fix, it fixes the 'Default gateway is not available' problem. I haven't tried using my 2.4G wifi to see if I get the same problem as the speed is substantially worse than 5G for me so I'm not sure whether it has something to do with my wifi itself or the driver on my laptop. 

I think it might be good to note that on my iPhone 11, the 5G wifi tends to not show up on the list? But on my previous laptop which was fairly new (got the nitro 5 because of a sale), it never had this 'no internet' problem on 5G and stayed on the 5G wifi even when the 5G option doesn't show up on my iPhone

• nathancd

Tinkerer

Still having problems with my 5G wifi. this time I see a globe with a 'no' symbol (maybe because of the Windows 10 1909 Update?) This time it always fixes after I troubleshoot, stating "The default gateway is not available". Need a fix asap since it ruins my gaming experience drastically. Have also reset my tcp/ip using Windows Powershell since my last post. Pretty sure I've done everything I know of that could possibly fix it and nothing has solved it.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,872 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019
    Could be your modem or wifi/bt card, check those out, if they are faulty and/or not setup properly. The wifi/bt card is very unlikely to go wrong but your modem could be the problem, try to pug an Rj45 Ethernet cable directly from your modem to the Nitro and see if the signal is the same? Otherwise, is your modems signal obstructed by any walls that could block the signal and/or you are using the Nitro in a different location? 
  • nathancd

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Could be your modem or wifi/bt card, check those out, if they are faulty and/or not setup properly. The wifi/bt card is very unlikely to go wrong but your modem could be the problem, try to pug an Rj45 Ethernet cable directly from your modem to the Nitro and see if the signal is the same? Otherwise, is your modems signal obstructed by any walls that could block the signal and/or you are using the Nitro in a different location? 
    Was honestly thinking it was the modem or the wifi card itself as well since sometimes the 5G wifi doesn't show up on the list on my iPhone sometimes and the fact that my 2.4G Wifi is substantially worse than it should be. Haven't tried using ethernet since I'm basically on the opposite side of the house where the router is. Only reason why I haven't come to that conclusion was because my previous laptop had no disconnections with the 5G Wifi when in use.