What is going on with the CPU temperature on my Acer Nitro 5 an517-51-782J?

bengtjan
bengtjan Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone, someone here might be able to help me with this issue. 

I recently bought an Acer Nitro 5 an517-51-782J. The computer itself work fine and it fits all my need etc. But there is one issue I can't seem to figure out.

The issue is following:

When I run my computer unplugged and indulge myself in some internet browsing (watching videos on YouTube or Netflix for e.g) the CPU stays around 40-50°. And when I run different applications like After Effect, Unity etc,. it gets somewhat warmer, but nothing too crazy, totally acceptable in my opinion. 

However, when i plug it in to the wall (using the standard AC-adapter it comes with), which obviously is pretty important for a laptop from time to time, it goes haywire and stays around 70-80 degrees when I browse the internet. And when I do all the other stuff it gets even warmer.

What the hell is going on?

Btw, I use the Nitro Sense application it comes bundled with to keep track of the temperature, and it's set to automatic. Don't know if this is important but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Best Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    When on battery your CPU is running at half power hence the lower temperature. When on AC your CPU boosts to High Performance hence the higher temperature. Anything below 90 deg is within range with the occasional spike to 95 deg. This is why all gaming must be done plugged into AC because games need High Performance mode.

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou 

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    Yes go to your Setting/Power/Advanced Settings and create a custom power plan. You can also do this from the Nitrosense App at the bottom left but really there is no need because if your not gaming the CPU runs fairly cool around 50 deg

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    When on battery your CPU is running at half power hence the lower temperature. When on AC your CPU boosts to High Performance hence the higher temperature. Anything below 90 deg is within range with the occasional spike to 95 deg. This is why all gaming must be done plugged into AC because games need High Performance mode.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• bengtjan
    Thank you for such a fast answer! I have a follow up question if that's cool.

Can I any way NOT run the CPU in high performance when plugged in? I almost always have it plugged in but I don't always push it to the limits. I rarely play any games for e.g.
  • andylb
    Yes go to your Setting/Power/Advanced Settings and create a custom power plan. You can also do this from the Nitrosense App at the bottom left but really there is no need because if your not gaming the CPU runs fairly cool around 50 deg

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• bengtjan
    Thank you @andylb
    I appreciate the help!