Acer Spin 5 (SP513-51) unable to charge or turn on until at least overnight.

Marcemuang
Marcemuang Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi Acer community,

I have an Acer Spin 5 (SP513-51) i5 processor, 4GB ram on a 64-bit Windows 10 OS. For the past year, my laptop has been experiencing irregular/random shut downs followed by the fan going full blast. The laptop would then be unable to turn on or charge (LED light would not light up) it would be completely dead for a minimum of one night to a few days. After such period, I would be able to turn it back on and it would run without issue until the next time it happens. Sometimes it would happen after months, other times the issue returns after a day. It is now out of warranty. When it was under warranty, the following was done:
1. Battery replaced; and
2. Motherboard replaced.

Both replacements were done by local Acer certified technicians as result of the issue mentioned above. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    Next time it happens. Make sure the machine is completely off. Then remove the charger. Then gently insert a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole on the  bottom for about 10 seconds. Then let the machine rest for 15 mins. Then plug the charger back in and try to turn it on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Marcemuang
    JackE said:
    Next time it happens. Make sure the machine is completely off. Then remove the charger. Then gently insert a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole on the  bottom for about 10 seconds. Then let the machine rest for 15 mins. Then plug the charger back in and try to turn it on. Jack E/NJ
     I try to insert a paper clip into the battery reset pinhole ASAP every time it experiences the problem mentioned above. The fan stops after I do so. Still, the laptop doesn't turn on until after a random time frame which could be overnight or even a few days. This is despite letting it rest and plugging the charger in after. What could be the issue?  Thanks for helping!
  • JackE
    Have you ever removed the cover with the pinhole for any reason? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Marcemuang
    @JackE Yes, I have removed the bottom cover after the issue started happening as I was wondering if it was an issue with the battery and some websites have stated that such an issue could be due to battery problems.
  • JackE
    OK. The mainboard may (or may not) be equipped with a spring-loaded safety switch that cuts all power to the mainboard when the bottom cover is removed. If so equipped, it will probably be located near the outside edges of the RAM slot. If the cover is not properly aligned with or fully depresses this switch when re-installed, the laptop could be subject to random shutdowns especially when be physically disturbed such as using the keyboard, touchpad or moving the machine. The fix is usually making sure the cover is properly aligned or putting a spacer on the switch button or inside the cover so that it is pressed harder when the cover is in place. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ