Afterimages on my desktop screen (Nitro AN515-51)

CallMeCJ_
CallMeCJ_ Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
If I leave my Acer Nitro 5's screen idle for a period of time (possibly around an hour), I can see an outline of parts of what was on that screen for 15-ish seconds. It doesn't seem to cause any lasting damage, and it's usually only things with a bright contrasting outline, so the window for something like Deluge or ExpressVPN is still visible, but Steam isn't, and even then it's only when my desktop image is on the darker side. If I initiate a restart, the "ghosting" instantly goes away, which is very very strange. I just want to make sure it isn't anything to be worried about.

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    This is entirely normal and is called Image Retention and it happens when a static image has been displayed for any length of time. An image is formed by crystals in the display, the longer the image is displayed the longer it takes for the crystals to return to a fluid state when a new image appears. However a word of caution, it is not good practice to leave a static image on for an extended period because Image Burn can occur, which may cause an image to be retained permanently. This is exactly why Screensavers were invented so that the image is moving periodically. Best practice is to close your lid when not in use or install a screensaver.
    Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★