edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello!

Two days ago I picked my new Nitro AN515-52
i5 8300H
8GB RAM
GTX 1050 Ti
500GB PCIe SSD
Win10

I'm a little bit concerned about temperatures of CPU. I tested some games and no matter what I play (some ten year old titles or something new but stilll not very demanding), temperature almost immediately goes to around 86-87C and after short time (around 15 minutes) there are peaks to 90C or even more. I've heard it's common issue but it still worries me a little. In these moment CPU fan is at the highest speed so it works properly. I have all Windows updates and most recent drivers installed. And while GPU stays mostly in 60-70C, CPU always goes to aforementioned values. Lowering graphical settings doesn't change antything (obviously, since there is on problem with GPU itself:) ). 

My laptop stays on solid desk with additional cooling pad with CoolBoost turned on. 

Are these temperatures normal? I know there is possibility to do undervolting but I haven't tried it yet and I don't know if this is really necessary. I still have two weeks to return it or exchange for another one.

I'll be glad if someone could confirm if this is something ordinary or should I be worried. And just to be clear - I'm aware that such components closed in small laptop case can produce a lot of heat (especially CPU with it's TDP) but still I don't think it should overheat in less demanding titles. 

Comments

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Your CPU is rated up to 95 deg and continuous use in that range will lower it's life but mid 80's with the occasional 90 deg spike is fine, the Laptop will self protect if temperatures are to high and either throttle back or shutdown to protect your CPU so don't worry.
    I suspect that you are not gaming on the Nvidia discrete GPU and instead you are gaming on your dedicated GPU, this will increase stress on your CPU
    You must set up your Laptop to run games on the Nvidia Discrete GPU and Your Windows Power plan MUST be set to High Performance.

1. Go to the Nvidia control center and under Manage 3d settings go to the Preferred Graphics Processor tab and change it from Auto Select to the Nvidia GPU then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU.

2. Go to the PhysX Configuration tab and set that to use the Nvidia GPU

3. Make sure Windows is set to high performance and you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Kaci007
    Kaci007 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Thank you for quick reply :) I decided to do some undervolting and now temperatures are significantly lower. Where before temperature raised to 90C, now it stays on stable 80-85C max. I will look into nvidia settings as well :) When it runa less demanding titles, it’s around 65-70C.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Kaci007 said:
    Thank you for quick reply :) I decided to do some undervolting and now temperatures are significantly lower. Where before temperature raised to 90C, now it stays on stable 80-85C max. I will look into nvidia settings as well :) When it runa less demanding titles, it’s around 65-70C.

Sounds good seems like you've got it under control.

Please click YES if I have helped solve your problem, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★