My NITRO 5 AN515-42 keeps blue screening with ATIKMPAG.SYS

johnboi86
johnboi86 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi i had a post a few months ago over my laggy and poor performance AN515-42 that didn't play any games , I didnt manage to sort it out and put the laptop away and just used it for the internet every now and then. then recently thought id give another go and see what i can do. I installed a fresh copy of windows 10 and it seems to be running a lot better. but i still have a problem with games. its forever crashing and getting blue screen atikmpag.sys. iv uninstalled and reinstalled drivers more times than i can remember and still it doesn't work. nothing iv tried seems to work. but if i disable radeon rx 560x card it stops crashing and allows me to play football manager but for 7 days to die its unplayable with poor graphic and mouse lag. the radeon rx 560x when not disabled goes straight to a 100% before it crashes. 

be thankful for some help cheers

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,669 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    Rx 560x is very powerful. I have an515-43 i play all HIGH end game in good fps ..if you disable this its mean your game running in vega 8 graphics which is not for high gaming.

After installing new window you need to install acer software 1st install amd radeon software this will update your driver better..
    As i know blue screen atikmpag.sys. iv happen when corrupted driver install so uninstall your display driver (GPU) THEN JUST DOWNLOAD AMD RADEON FOLLOW THIS↓

For rx560x go and download from link i given bellow and download after download open it and click on accept and express install don't go custom install 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500x-series/radeon-rx-560x
    Click in window 10 64bit edition in link then Download Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.11.3 Optional

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Install amd radeon this will automatically install correct driver and latest one try this ↑

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    Do this and the Rx560 x should now work correctly, you cannot successfully game on the Vega 8 it is designed for routine tasks. Please click YES if this solves your problem, thankyou

Make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into power while gaming, Windows MUST be set to High Performance plan, then do this:
    Open your AMD control center 
    First click the Updates tab at the bottom left and make sure your graphics drivers are updated to 19.11.2 or higher and click express upgrade. If you don't have the Adrenalin Control Center download it here
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-11-2

Make sure High Performance is selected under Power Plan in Nitrosense when on AC

After that make sure your games are listed under switchable graphics and your games are set on High Performance, you must import your games .exe using the Browse tab in pic below

Lastly to run your game on the RX560x you must launch the game from inside the Radeon Adrenalin Control Center. Click the gaming tab then if your game is not there you will need to add your game's .exe by using the ADD button on the right and navigating to your games .exe file, then click the drop down box for your game then click launch. The game will now launch using the RX560x and your CPU should be boosting to MAX but only if needed and it will be monitored in Nitrosense

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• johnboi86

Tinkerer

Hi thanks for your reply's , iv just started up in safe mode uninstalled all drivers and deleted all amd files and restarted then downloaded VGA off acer website and restarted and download Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.11.3 from the link provided. it still crashes but doesn't  blue screen as much but still always crashes. this a  screen shot on loading the game 

And this is a screenshot before it crashes

Anyways i will i will install a fresh windows and try everthing from above cheers

• andylb
    Are you launching your game from within the AMD control Center and NOT from a desktop shortcut? This is very important

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• johnboi86

Tinkerer

i launched from within the ADM control center
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    Next thing in our process of elimination, now that you have reinstalled etc.. does this happen with just this game or all offline games?

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• johnboi86

Tinkerer

i launched from hear, iv only recently known to launch from hear

• johnboi86

Tinkerer

Am not sure, ill download a few more games and try them cheers 
  • andylb
    edited November 2019
    let me know and let me know how it behaves with online vs offline

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• johnboi86

Tinkerer

just played offline campaign on age of empires and crashed twice on me i will download a few more and try them too 
  • andylb
    All your Windows settings are on High Performance in your power plan?

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    standby i'm going to upload some screen shots

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    Open settings and go to Power and Sleep, select related Settings and make sure High performance is selected then click Change Power Plan

Click Change Advanced Power Settings

From the Drop down Box make sure these settings are selected, save and exit, now try your games again

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• johnboi86

Tinkerer

cheers matey for taking time for screenshots , been into my setting and needed to change these 

Iv changed them to maximise performance and tried 7 DAYS TO DIE again , first attempt blue screen of death at menu then 2nd attempt was in game for 5 mins or so before it crashed. i got a screen shot few mins before it crashed 

RX560X is at 100% nearly the whole, just wondered could their be any hardware problem?
  • johnboi86

Tinkerer

Dont no if this helps anybody but?

• johnboi86 said:
    Dont no if this helps anybody but?

Is this happening in single game only?

• Your window is original comes from out of box or you install custom one?

• andylb
    edited November 2019
    All your GPU and Windows power settings are now correct so you have something hogging that GPU. Go to Device Manager and look for anything unusual that is hogging services. Something is amiss here, I have the same model as you and you are now using exactly the same settings as me but my games run flawlessly, also it is rare to see the GPU at 100% usually the CPU is stressed way before the GPU

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★