Switch media keys to Fn keys on Aspire C24-865

bradmont
bradmont Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I purchased an Aspire C24-865 today, and so far it is doing the job well, but the keyboard is super frustrating. I regularly use the Fn keys to navigate the system, but they are locked as media keys, and to use them as function keys (F1-F12) I have to hold down the Fn button... which is really awkward and kludgy for hotkeys (think alt+f4). Conversely, I pretty much never use media keys; how can I switch the default behaviour to normal function keys?

Thanks!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Some of the BIOS versions on models like this have an option to swap that default behavior. Any chance yours does too?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bradmont
    Not that I've been able to find, I've looked pretty thoroughly.
  • bradmont
    No ideas then?
  • Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• bradmont
    No, unfortunately. I'm running Linux, so Windows settings won't do the job. I think it's a hardware problem though, something specific to the keyboard... I just can't find a setting to fix it in the bios.
  • Polten
    Polten Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Bradmont,
    Try combination of following keys to toggle the function key: Alt-Gr - Fn - Esc 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Yes, a lot of the BIOSes don't have the option to switch that behavior. We've had some luck lobbying Acer to add that into BIOSes and the newer machines seem to have a better chance to have it included. Of course, it's only the power users who need the toggle. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.