Wifi Degradation on Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51, i5-7300hq, gtx 1050ti, 256gb)

Options
SomePoptarts
SomePoptarts Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've had this laptop for a year now. I bought it on Black Friday. Around two months ago, my 5ghz wifi network stopped working for my Nitro 5. (A week after windows update?) It would crash randomly, ranging from in between 10 minutes to an hour between crashes. I tried disabling the option to cut power to the internet adapter, unistalling and reinstalling network drivers, and doing some cmd prompt stuff which I think was flushing my ip or something? The crashes did seem to happen more often when I was playing Tower Battles on Roblox, though I didn't really find any pattern or linkage between the two, since I play TB a lot.The wifi doesn't crash on any other computers, though. I had my brother switch to the 5ghz and while my wifi was crashed, he was still browsing reddit. I gave up on this issue eventually and decided to be content with my 2.4ghz wifi instead, which seemed stable and while it was slower, it was safe. 

Then my 2.4ghz crashed twice today (First time ever), a bad omen of things to come. What's going on? Is it hardware degradation (unlikely)? Should I crack open my laptop? 

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's a bad Wifi card, they get hot and burn out, the Qualcomm card is prone to this, it is a known issue. Unfortunately you are outside of warranty so buy an external USB wifi card, they are inexpensive on Amazon

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's a bad Wifi card, they get hot and burn out, the Qualcomm card is prone to this, it is a known issue. Unfortunately you are outside of warranty so buy an external USB wifi card, they are inexpensive on Amazon

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★