Acer Aspire E5-471G Laptop Battery indicator is not accurate

danishkasim
danishkasim Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
So my laptop dies at the range between 25%-30% and I can never predict it since the indicator never reaches 0% or 5% even. So I set the low battery warning at 40% so that I will plug in the charger immediately. When I do plug in the charger though, the battery indicates that it is now charging from 5% instead of 40%, which was what the indicator was showing originally. This battery indicator issue has been going on for quite sometime despite several attempts on re-calibrating it.

Prior to this, my original laptop battery has died, so I have been using a replacement battery I bought online. I'm not sure if its the capacity of the battery that is giving problems or just a bug that can be easily fixed.

What do I do to have a better reading of my battery's capacity instead of a very far deviation?

System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire E5-471G
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Aspire E5-471G_0879_1_21
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. V1.21, 24/9/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 0.00
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Acer
BaseBoard Product EA40_HB
BaseBoard Version Type2 - A01 Board Version

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Open DeviceManager. Click 'batteries' folder. Right click and uninstall ALL battery and charger drivers. Exit DeviceManager without re-installing anything. Shut down Windows. Then turn the machine back on. If battery still has some charge, unplug the charger and allow the battery to drain until a low battery warning. Then plug the charger back in. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sjenest
    Sjenest Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    • Charge your laptop’s battery to full—that’s 100%.
    • Let the battery rest for at least two hours, leaving the computer plugged in. This will ensure that the battery is cool and not still hot from the charging process. You’re free to use your computer normally while it’s plugged in, but be sure it doesn’t get too hot. You want it to cool down.
    • Go into your computer’s power management settings and set it to automatically hibernate at 5% battery. To find these options, head to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings. Look under the “Battery” category for the “Critical battery action” and “Critical battery level” options. (If you can’t set it to 5%, just set it as low as you can—for example, on one of our PCs, we couldn’t set these options below 7% battery.)

• Pull the power plug and leave your laptop running and discharging until it automatically hibernates. You can keep using your computer normally while this happens.

NOTE: If you want to calibrate the battery while you aren’t using the computer, be sure your computer isn’t set to automatically sleep, hibernate, or turn its display off while idle. If your computer automatically enters power-saving mode while you’re away, it will save power and won’t discharge properly. To find these options, head to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change plan settings.

• Allow your computer to sit for five hours or so after it automatically hibernates or shuts down.
    • Plug your computer back into the outlet and charge it all the way back up to 100%. You can keep using your computer normally while it charges.
    • Ensure any power management settings are set to their normal values. For example, you probably want your computer to automatically power off the display and then go to sleep when you’re not using it to save battery power. You can change these settings while the computer charges.

Your laptop should now be reporting a more accurate amount of battery life, sparing you any surprise shutdowns and giving you a better idea of how much battery power you have at any given time.

The key to calibration is allowing the battery to run from 100% to almost empty, then charging it all the way up to 100% again, which may not happen in normal use. Once you’ve gone through this full charge cycle, the battery will know how much juice it has and report more accurate readings.