Fan Control (AN515-53-52FA)

Rishabd1
Rishabd1 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have been using the Acer Nitro 5 (i5 8300h and GTX 1050) for about a year or so. My only gripe with it is the battery life. I have noticed that at idle on low power mode, the computer will turn on fans around 45c, which is pretty low considering that while not gaming, the cpu should be able to be passively cooled to around 50-55c. I tried using the in-built NitroSense software to try keeping the fans off during regular usage, but it starts up regardless. I wanted to know if anyone else has been able to set a fan curve or force a certain rpm on the computer. The fans appear to draw a lot of power so this would help a lot. Thanks

Answers

• Rishabd1
    Also, I have tried looking in the BIOS for a solution. Unfortunately, it is pretty locked down. I have heard rumors of a secondary or manufacturer's BIOS, but I haven't had any success with it.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Rishabd1 said:
    I have been using the Acer Nitro 5 (i5 8300h and GTX 1050) for about a year or so. My only gripe with it is the battery life. I have noticed that at idle on low power mode, the computer will turn on fans around 45c, which is pretty low considering that while not gaming, the cpu should be able to be passively cooled to around 50-55c. I tried using the in-built NitroSense software to try keeping the fans off during regular usage, but it starts up regardless. I wanted to know if anyone else has been able to set a fan curve or force a certain rpm on the computer. The fans appear to draw a lot of power so this would help a lot. Thanks

I think Acer sets those parameters and they are probably quite liberal but because they are set by Acer even if you can set your own curve, which I don't think you can, you would invalidate the warranty

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Rishabd1
    andylb said:
    Rishabd1 said:

I think Acer sets those parameters and they are probably quite liberal but because they are set by Acer even if you can set your own curve, which I don't think you can, you would invalidate the warranty
    I agree with you. It's is very likely that they set the threshold very low, but there is software online available for Ubuntu to control fans for the Acer Nitro 5. I wanted to know if there was something like that for Windows. Also, if the laptop runs at 95c on the CPU when gaming, Acer shouldn't be complaining if we are trying to change the fan curve since it thermal throttles out of the box. Here is the link for the Ubuntu software: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1133890/how-can-i-control-fan-speed-on-acer-nitro-5?noredirect=1&lq=1 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    Looks good but I don't have any thermal throttling problems and I average about 75 deg for my games at high fps. I've found that most of the high temp questions that I have success in answering are because of incorrect GPU settings, you wouldn't believe how many people don't realize they are gaming on their dedicated GPU. Also Acer do a lousy job with the thermal paste and many 95 deg problems have become 85 deg solutions after repasting with Grizzly Kryonaut
    Interesting answer though, thanks

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★