Aspire V Nitro Black Edition not recognizing headset plugged in 3.5mm headphone/microphone jacks

ibm2ibm
ibm2ibm Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello all. I recently bought a gaming headset to use with my Aspire VN7-792G Nitro Black edition, however after plugging the jacks into the appropriate/corresponding jack, I can neither hear anything in the headphones nor does the microphone work. There are only two options for devices:  Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio (SST)) and Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio). I searched other websites and they indicate I should select "Headset" and make it default. Trouble is, there IS no Headset listed (even in Device Manager). I've downloaded all of the current drivers and even upgraded to Bios 1.09.  Suggestions? Recommendations? Thank you in advance.

Answers

• Balu
    Balu Ally Posts: 95

1. Right click the Start button.
    2. Click on Control Panel.
    3. Select Hardware and Sound.
    4. Click Sound.
    5. Under Playback, right click and select Show Disabled devices.
    6. From the list of headphones, right click on your headphone device name.
    7. Select Enable.
    8. Click Set as Default.
    If they don't, then either your drivers (these things will tell your computer what kind of hardware it has and how to use it) are missing or the the headphone jack itself has failed. Lets say it is in fact your drivers that are missing, then all you need to do is either use windows update(it will detect many of your missing drivers) or go to the manufacturers website and look for them there(usually they will have a tab somewhere on the home page that will say something about support or downloads). And also try different headphones, those could have messed up as well. 

Now lets say that you do see the headphones show up as an audio device. Then all you need to do is set them as the default and that should fix your problem.

If you like the answer click Accept.
  • ibm2ibm
    ibm2ibm Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Thank you so much for your response! Regrettably, I already did the steps you indicated. The problem is I have only two devices to choose from:  Realtek Digital Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio. There was one device that was disabled (sorry, I'm at work and not at my laptop so I can't check the device name), and after I enabled it, still nothing. Choosing headsets isn't even an option, that's why I was wondering if I needed to install some sort of CODECS program. I'm somewhat ignorant regarding the behind-the-scenes programs, so I may be completely wrong regarding CODECS. I don't know why selecting a headset isn't an option -- even through Device Manager. I also don't know why when I plug it in, PnP doesn't come up and ask me if I want to install new hardware. I did get a replacement headset and will give that a go. Hopefully the other headset was defective and it's not me or my machine.