Predator Helios 300 - GPU fan going from idle to 1,000 instantly, and then going back to idle

Options
hmartinez
hmartinez Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I purchased this laptop on January 2018 so it's about to be 2 years old. This started happening a few weeks ago. I would be using my laptop as I normally do, but the GPU fan would start making a loud noise. The laptop would first start vibrating and making noises from the fans side, and then the GPU fan would start making this sound, kinda like a lawnmower trying to start. If this would happen when I'm gaming I would probably think that it's somewhat normal, but this usually happens when I'm doing uni work (mostly using chrome and Excel). 

I already opened it up and cleaned all the dust from both fans (first time cleaning them) but the noises seem to be more constant now. Please take a look at how it sounds here, with PredatorSense in the screen: https://youtu.be/H_kLoa2T5ww

Product name: Predator G3-571

Answers

• SGLtech
    SGLtech Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    Yikes!  
    There's something physically interfering with the fan blades majorly. 
    Hopefully it's debris that can be removed, but you might need to replace a defective fan. 
    The more it goes on, the more chance that the fan will be defective and needs replacement.   
    I'd tend to this as a matter of urgency, because if the fan is not cooling your GPU properly, you could end up frying your GPU, and it gets a whole lot more expensive to fix.

• hmartinez

Tinkerer

Options
    Hey @SGLtech thanks for your reply! I find it weird that the GPU fan would even start when I'm not using any graphic-demanding application? Like I said, it usually does this when I'm not even gaming.. it would just start when I'm using Word, Excel, Chrome, Adobe reader and similar stuff. 

I also already unscrewed the whole cooling system and cleaned a whole lot of dust, don't you think I would've been able to see any debris? Or do you think it's inside the fan, like in the blades? I blew into the fans and they were both moving without any issue. 

Either way, I might just replace the fan in a couple of weeks. Can't do it sooner unfortunately. 
  • SGLtech
    SGLtech Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    Options
    I just replayed your video again.  Is it possible that the axle of the fan is slightly off-center, and allowing the fan blades to rub up against the surrounding manifold?  Was there any kind of event prior to the noise starting, such as working inside the cover or the laptop being banged or dropped?
  • hmartinez

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    Options
    I guess it's possible, but then again I took it apart yesterday to clean the fans so I think I should've noticed something odd. @SGLtech I did some gaming today and the CPU got to 96C and the GPU to 90C. I know these aren't normal temperatures so I shut down the game instantly. And no I can't think of anything that would have caused this. No hits and I haven't opened since last time which was around May. 

You think it would be safe for the fans to run while the cover is open? Maybe I can see how the fans are behaving when this noise comes up.