WiFi Connection problem Alpha 12

Options
hrh747
hrh747 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
I use an Acer Switch Alpha 12 with QualComm atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter. I keep the Windows 10 and the drivers always updated. However, in the past several months, when I turn on the modem in the morning, the tablet can not connect to the WiFi. I always have to go to Windows Setting -> Network & Internet then choose Troubleshooting, let it reset the network card then reboot the ADSL router to get connected to the WiFi. Sometimes these steps works and sometimes it does not. When it does not work, I have to wait for an hour or so and try again and finally it works. As of last week the delay has increased and now sometimes like today it takes 8 hours of trying to troubleshoot, uninstall the network driver, reboot the system numerous time during these several hour to finally connect to WiFi. At the sametime, I have a HP notebook running Windows 10 and an Iphone and they seem to be fine. They connect to WiFi, as soon as the ADSL router comes online.

When I try to update the driver for the Wireless Network Adapter, I always get prompted that the most recent driver has been installed on your system. It is so frustrating not to able to connect to WiFi right away. I like this tablet more than my other systems and have all my important files on it. Any idea, what causes this consistent WiFi connection problem?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Answers

• Balu
    Balu Ally Posts: 95
    Options

Step 1: Verify AP and router settings. ...Step 2: Verify wireless adapter. ...Step 3: Check SSID and IP address. ...Step 4: Verify network connection with Ping. ...Step 5: Wireless-specific connection problems. ...Step 6: Check security settings.                                                                                              If you like the answer click Accept.
  • hrh747
    Options
    Thanks Balu for the recommendation. Would you please elaborate on step 6? What do I need to check in security settings in particular? In addition, how do I verify wireless adapter in step 2? The driver is up to date.

Thanks
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Check Properties on your Atheros card to make sure it's power settings aren't allowing the system to turn it off. It might just not be getting turned back on without the reset.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hrh747
    Options
    Thank you. The power was set to turn off to save power.
  • billsey
    Options
    Let us know if that works after testing for a while, I think it will, and then mark it as answered so others will be able to find it easier. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hrh747
    Options
    Hello billsey, it worked for a while but this evening, I started losing WiFi Connection again. In the meantime, I keep checking for an updated driver to the Wireless Network Adapter from the Acer. I MIGHT also have an intermittent hardware glitch or maybe a malicious virus gone undetected by the Windows Defender. It is hard to pinpoint the problem.
  • billsey
    Options
    Dang, I really hoped we had it licked. It's possible the WiFi card is starting to fail when fully up to running temperature that could explain it gradually getting worse while active. The only other sort of common issues with WiFi is an antenna wire that's not fully seated in the socket, but that usually is as bad cold as hot.
  • hrh747
    Options
    Hello again billsey, thanks for all the great suggestions. I have 3 devices, a HP notebook, Acer Tablet and an Iphone. Only the tablet has the issue that let me believe the problem may not be emanating from the router and the antenna. I really hope/wish the problem goes away with the next release of the driver update.

Thanks again.
  • billsey
    Options
    Let us know... We don't want to have you left out in the cold. :)
  • hrh747
    Options
    Thank you billsey, I appreciate it.
  • CamperD
    CamperD Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I updated an ACER 5251 Laptop to Windows 10 and It would connect to WiFi but when turned off and back on there was not WiFi connection unless I restarted or tried all the Options to get that to work.  I installed Ubuntu 16.04 and it installed and turned on WiFi and showed the router ID's.  After the password was entered it connected immediately.  After that I quite the installation and turned off the laptop.  When It was turned on, Windows 10 started and WiFi was turned on immediately.  I have turned off and back on around 10 times and there is a WiFi Connection everytime.  For me the Ubuntu 16.04 drivers got the WiFi working the way it should.  Hope this helps someone, Have been trying different WiFi Cards, searching for drivers etc for 2 weeks.  This Finally Worked Here