Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 being incredibly slow.

justinW
justinW Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I have recently noticed that my Acer Nitro 5(AN515-52) laptop is being super slow at performing simple tasks. Ever since the new Nitro 5's came out this year, my computer just started to become really slow. Even with 8GB of RAM, 60-70% of it is constantly being used, and opening Opera takes about 5 minutes, with chrome taking 10. When running games, it is a beast, but when doing an everyday task, it runs like a 10 year old laptop. Does running my fan on max speed everytime have anything to do with this? Does Acer just slow down old models like Apple when a new one comes out? It is really frustrating, as being productive can be so difficult as this is only a 1 year laptop and it is acting like a 10 year old one.

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    Acer does not have remote access to your laptop in order to slow it down, a laptop is not like a mobile phone however if Apple were slowing down phones deliberately there would have been a massive lawsuit by now so that one is probably an urban legend. Incidentally 8gb of RAM is not a lot, I recommend 16gb and you might want to open Task Manager and look at what background programs are running, about 2.5 bg of RAM is usually dedicated to running the system. 
    Try a battery reset. Power down and unplug your laptop, place a straightened paperclip in the small hole on the underside of the laptop and press for 10 seconds, leave laptop to rest for 15 mins then plug in and power up. Also do a full system Virus scan, you may have some malware running in the background
    Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    Acer does not have remote access to your laptop in order to slow it down, a laptop is not like a mobile phone however if Apple were slowing down phones deliberately there would have been a massive lawsuit by now so that one is probably an urban legend. Incidentally 8gb of RAM is not a lot, I recommend 16gb and you might want to open Task Manager and look at what background programs are running, about 2.5 bg of RAM is usually dedicated to running the system. 
    Try a battery reset. Power down and unplug your laptop, place a straightened paperclip in the small hole on the underside of the laptop and press for 10 seconds, leave laptop to rest for 15 mins then plug in and power up. Also do a full system Virus scan, you may have some malware running in the background
    Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★