Looking for recommendations. (What Acer laptop to buy?)

Reca49
Reca49 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,
I need a new laptop, but I find it very difficult to choose or even figure out what exactly I need, so I was hoping that there would be some knowledgeable people around here who might have some good suggestions. I'll just explain very briefly what I need my laptop for.
About 80% of what I do on my laptop is just writing, text editing, and related work in office-type software. It's the other 20% that's the issue, I guess. This other 20% includes digital image work. This is mostly 2D, but sometimes involves 15 or more layers in Photoshop where each layer is 5000x5000 pixels or more; occasionally also 3D (mostly Blender); and occasionally also 3D animation. It also includes audio/sound/music-related work (which tends to be less taxing on the computer's memory etc.), and even more occasionally some gaming and similar stuff (games in Unity appear to be by far the most problematic for my current, old laptop).
Portability is not a major issue, although the laptop should not be too big to fit in my bag (i.e. not much bigger than 24x30 cm approximately). Battery life is not really an issue at all. I don't think I have ever used my laptop just on the battery for more than 2 hours. A final issue that matters to me is that glossy screens give me a headache. (I'm not sure what that is called, but some laptops have matte screens and I strongly prefer that.)
So, what would be the best laptop(s) for me? I'd be very grateful for any help or suggestions.

Comments

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    >>> It's the other 20% that's the issue>>>

Heh-heh. Yeah well you're looking for a predator helios 300. Probably a PH315-51 or 52. Something like that. :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Reca49
    Thanks for the reply.

A predator (or other kind of gaming computer) seems a bit excessive. I don't think I need that much power. The Swift model may not have enough power, however, so perhaps I need something in between.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    Then forget most of the other 20%. So step down to something like an AN515-51. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    Short of a gaming rig it sounds like what you are going to want is a combination of decent processor, lots of onboard memory and a discrete GPU. Look for a model with 8th-10th generation i7, 16GB or more of RAM and an NVIDIA card. A quick search on the Acer Store site shows several models that meet or exceed that spec. In addition to the Predator line it looks like the higher end Aspires can also fit, like the Aspire 7 Laptop - A715-74G-73QX. Be sure to search for models available to your locale, that last and the search are for the US.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Reca49
    Thanks. These concrete minimum specifications are quite helpful.
    Considering that gaming takes up much less than 1% of the time I spent with my laptop, a gaming rig seems really quite ridiculous. I took a better measurement of my bag and realized that most 15" models would be quite hard to fit, so that results in another requirement. So it looks like this is the list of requirements:
    * 14" screen
    * 8th-10th generation i7 processor
    * 16GB or more RAM
    * NVIDIA video card
    The Acer model that comes closest to these specs (and that is available in Japan) is a Swift 7. It doesn't have a NVIDIA card, but it satisfies the other requirements. It is, however, hideously expensive. There are other brands that make laptops that satisfy all requirements for half the price.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Yeah, the 7 models all seem to have a really high end display which bumps their price up. I'm using a Switch 7 with an 8th gen i7, 16GB of memory and the MX150. Its MSRP is $1699 IIRC. I sure is a nice system though! I think the Swift 7 is a bit cheaper than the Switch... Check out the Travelmate line too, I think there are some that meet spec there.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.