Acer Aspire V3-571G, wifi fails to start

TerryFoster
TerryFoster Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just installed windows 8 on a new hard drive. I have a QUALCOMM Atheros AR5BWB222 wireless network adaptor can not start (code 10)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,848 Trailblazer
    What was the original factory installed Windows version? Win7? Win8? Win8.1? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TerryFoster
    Im inclined to think it was Windows XP, or W7
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,892 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019
    Firstly, I have the V3-571G which runs the same WiFi/BT card as yours but, I have Windows 10 and I suggest that you install windows 10 also as, you wont have this problem, secondly if you want drivers for the QUALCOMM Atheros AR5BWB222 this is the WiFi driver go to https://www.ath-drivers.eu/download-driver-for-Atheros-chipset-with-id-74-and-Windows8-64bit.html the BT is here: https://www.ath-drivers.eu/download-driver-for-Atheros-chipset-with-id-78-and-Windows8-64bit.html these are all for Windows 8 64bit. For anybody that needs Windows 10 they also have Windows 10 drivers on these same links. Also, don't forget to press "Shift>F3" or just "F3" to activate the WiFi/BT on the system after you have installed these drivers as some times they don't trigger automatically. Hope this helps.
  • TerryFoster
    "This device cannot start (code 10)" is the results of attempting to install that driver StevenGen 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,892 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019
    Have you uninstalled the old driver prior to trying to install the new driver? Try that, as you have to do that. 

This is Microsoft solution "Error codes in Device Manager in Windows" below for "Code 10" and also see their page at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310123/error-codes-in-device-manager-in-windows

Code 10 "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Full Error Message

"This device cannot start. Try upgrading the device drivers for this device. (Code 10)"

Cause

Typically, the device's hardware key contains a "FailReasonString" value, and the value string is displays an error message defined by the hardware manufacturer. If the hardware key does not contain a “FailReasonString” value the message above is displayed.

Recommended resolutions

Update the driver

In the device's Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

Note You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver.  If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s website.

If that doesn't work then try this:

Open device manager, network adapters > double click on Qualcomm Atheros....

Advanced options and then enabled the following option:
    1. Dynamic MIMO Power Save: Enable
    if that doesn't work, check that he WiFi/BT card (open the back panel) is plugged in correctly. If its pugged in correctly then the card must be faulty or the plug on the PCIe mini laptop must be faulty. 

This is very strange as mine works 100% and I've never ever had such a problem with them on many Aspire laptops, the Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 are a really great WiFi/BT card and very reliable and rarely go wrong. 
  • JackE
    Download, unzip and try this driver. If the executable chokes, then right click on it and choose properties. Then click the compatibility tab and run it in Win7 compatibility mode. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• TerryFoster
    Hey guys its a great day!
    I have good news and bad news...

The bad news is that None of the suggestions above proved to benefit my situation. And this leads to a question for StevenGen... Should this step quoted here be reverted to "disable"

If that doesn't work then try this:

Open device manager, network adapters > double click on Qualcomm Atheros....

Advanced options and then enabled the following option:
    1. Dynamic MIMO Power Save: Enable
    if that doesn't work, check that he WiFi/BT card (open the back panel) is plugged in correctly. If its plugged in correctly then the card must be faulty or the plug on the PCIe mini laptop must be faulty.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GOOD News is that my issue has been resolved. It was resolved using the "Driver Booster 7" software. (see image)
    Outside of Windows Updates, I had been using the "DriverMax" software to update all of my outdated drivers. DriverMax provided me with a corrupted Atheros driver, and that happens occasionally with driver updaters. Anyways, I downloaded and tried "Driver Booster 7" because I had used it a few years ago until it once provided me with a corrupt driver, hence why I am now using DriverMax. 

The Atheros driver that Driver Booster 7 provided was a Success! 

I now have WIFI and all is well and I can proceed.

Thank you immensely StevenGen, and JackE, your suggestions were quick, and are greatly appreciated!!!

• JackE
    Congrats. DriverBooster is pretty good --- for now. That may change. Here's some others. DriverMax pulls up the rear.  ttps://www.lifewire.com/free-driver-updater-tools-2619206 Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ