TC-780 occasional fan speed-up -- normal?

Dunkin
Dunkin Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives

Greetings,

I have a new Aspire TC-780 Desktop - Core i5-7400 - 8GB RAM (Model: TC780UR1A - DT.B89AA.029). Running Windows-10. Still setting it up. Everything seems fine but once in a while the fan will rev up for a few seconds and then return to normal speed. I don't notice that it relates to anything I am doing (hard to tell what Windows is doing!). No gaming or any intense use.

I also have an older TC-780 (running Linux) that doesn't have this behavior, so wondering if the occasional speed-up on the new machine is normal.

Any insights appreciated. Thank you.

Best Answer

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    windows background processes will use the cpu much more often even though you're not doing anything, so pretty normal.  Linux runs efficiently so is much much less liable to do this (because the underlying processes generally needs less time/cpu power to complete).

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    windows background processes will use the cpu much more often even though you're not doing anything, so pretty normal.  Linux runs efficiently so is much much less liable to do this (because the underlying processes generally needs less time/cpu power to complete).
  • Dunkin
    Dunkin Member Posts: 4 New User

Gawain,

Makes sense. Guess I won't worry about it.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.