Acer Aspire 5742G overheating and shutting down constantly

Options
Skybluesky
Skybluesky Member Posts: 59 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello to everyone,

I have an Acer Aspire 5742G that is constantly shutting down and I think it´s overheating as it feels maybe too hot to the touch after half an hour or so turned on.

This notebook is about 8 years old and it never had any problems until today, nor it has been cleaned before some months ago. It stopped turning on and I opened it and cleaned the cooler and inside. It didn´t resolve the issue and it would keep shutting down.

I took it to a technician but didn´t help either and they made a mess with other things like the wrong adapter. I demanded they got it back to how it was when I took it to them. Right now, that´s how it is: I can turn it on and enter windows but it shuts down if it heats a bit more or the computer has to do more demanding tasks, like a virus scan.

I can´t tell for sure if it´s the cooler and nothing else. When I cleaned it seemed to be spinning but not sure it´s working well - I can´t hear any sound. When it shuts down on boot, I distinctly used to hear the cooler start and then stop before shutting down.

I´m searching for a new cooler (for this Acer is MF60090V1-B010-G99, Sunon, DC5V - 2.0W) but I´m wondering: could I use one that is compatible but with 3.0 or 4.0 W without any problems?

I´m trying to see my options and hoping it´s something easy to resolve, or if maybe I´ll have to give up on this notebook.

So can anyone here please help with any suggetions that can lower the temperature of this laptop and keep it as cool as possible?

Regards

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you can get the fan, sure. I'd advise getting the 2watt model. But you'll probably pay as much for it as the whole thermal module. The .001 part is for the nvidia. So the .003 is presumably for the radeon. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Just get the correct thermal module with fan and re-paste heat sink to the CPU/GPU using ARCTIC MX-4 paste. Part nos. are  60.R5202.003 or 60.R5302.001. About $20 + s/h. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Skybluesky
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.
    So you recommend I get the entire heatsink with cooling fan? Not just replace the cooling fan?

My graphic card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series, not the Nvidia and I think that part nos. is only for Nvidia, or that is what it says on eBay.

This notebook I have is a i3 core, Acer aspire 5742G - 374G32MNKK.

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you can get the fan, sure. I'd advise getting the 2watt model. But you'll probably pay as much for it as the whole thermal module. The .001 part is for the nvidia. So the .003 is presumably for the radeon. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Skybluesky
    Options
    Ok, thank you - I will be looking for it.
    I´m not even absolutely sure it´s the cooling fan but it´s worth trying. The laptop heats and shuts down in about 12-15 minutes after being turned on and then it feels hot to the touch exactly above the area where the fan and heatsink is located, so I´m guessing the problem can be there.
    Again, thanks for the tip.