Spin 5 keyboard not working

crystallyzing
crystallyzing Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just bought my laptop in mid September for school, and between being there and the hour or so commute home yesterday, the keyboard decided to inexplicably give up. The backlight and trackpad are both still in operation, but only a handful of keys seem to consistently type. I have tried just about everything recommended short of taking the thing apart and checking the connections. I've tried a system restore, a factory reset, I've uninstalled my drivers numerous times and checked my keyboard settings just as many. Toggle, Sticky, and Filter Keys are all off. I've done the pinhole reset and held the button down for 5, 15, and 20 seconds. My keyboard still doesn't work.

Can anyone tell me if I'm maybe overlooking something? I need my laptop for school and I'd really rather not send it away to be fixed, if it can be avoided.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Check to make sure the Num Lock isn't set...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • crystallyzing
    crystallyzing Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:
    Check to make sure the Num Lock isn't set...
    Just checked, keyboard seems equally bad at being a keyboard regardless of how Num Lock is toggled.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    I'm guessing it's an actual hardware issue with the keyboard then. If you can, try an external keyboard just to verify there nothing software-wise that is mucking with key presses, then contact Acer support for warranty repair or your vendor for a swap if it's new enough still.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.