Repasting Predator Helios 500(PH517-51)? Getting high temps of 99 c on 2 Cores

brwster455
brwster455 Member Posts: 42 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
Just started getting some high temps mainly on two cores. Before no cores ever reached over high 80s. Is it hard to repast the cpu and gpu on this laptop?.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    It's not crazy hard, you open the base up and remove the fans to access the heatsink. IIRC there are a half dozen or so screws holding it in place. Make sure you're properly grounded and be cautious when removing plastic parts so nothing breaks and you should be OK.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • brwster455
    Thanks for the Reply. So i just did the repast and it was kind of a pain because I had to buy and swap out all the thermal pads. They were a clumpy, dried up and parts of them came off with the heatsink. I appreciate the Acer Community post like this one https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555654/thermal-pad-thicknesses-on-the-helios-500-i9 that showed me about the thermal pads.
    I used Artic Thermal Pads and Gelid GC-Extreme for the thermal grease.
    Temp at idle after only 15 min of testing are a lot better. System temp 41, gpu mid 30's, cpu, high 30;s to mid 40's. 
  • brwster455
    Thanks for the Reply. So i just did the repast and it was kind of a pain because I had to buy and swap out all the thermal pads. They were all like dried powder and parts of them came off with the heatsink. I really appreciate the Acer Community post like this one https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555654/thermal-pad-thicknesses-on-the-helios-500-i9 that showed me about the thermal pads.
    I used Artic Thermal Pads and Gelid GC-Extreme for the thermal grease.
    Temp at idle after only 15 min of testing are a lot better. System temp 41, gpu mid 30's, cpu, high 30;s to mid 40's. 
  • Arrandy81
    Arrandy81 Member Posts: 63 Devotee WiFi Icon
    All Pads are 1mm