space

hommerj
hommerj Member Posts: 7 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
am unable to install windows update due to lack of space,even when i connect external drives it keeps defaulting to c . how do format c and start again no matter what windows tools i use it is stuck on c
thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    How much free space do you have on the C: drive? What's the total size of the drive? You may be able to just free up some space and the updates will work.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hommerj
    thanks drive is 32 have paired the drive down its bear limit how do i get to reformat and partion the drive
  • hommerj
    sorry 16gb
  • billsey
    Wow, I didn't think Acer sold any Windows laptops with on 16GB of storage since the XP days... Which model do you have? Does it have a SD slot?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hommerj
    sorry 32gb got it wrong
  • billsey
    Does it have a SD slot?
  • hommerj
    yes it does but every time i try to save it to the SD card the computer finds it but will only clean up the c drive i think c needs formatting and the partition reset
  • billsey
    How much free space is there on C:? Have you already tried Disk Cleanup (comes with Windows)?
  • hommerj
    hi tried everything i am of the opinion its the partions i need to sort out
  • billsey
    Sorry for the slow response, I've been out of town this week. The only way to redo the C: partition is will a full Windows reinstall. With a 32GB drive you should have near 10GB free with just a Windows install. Perhaps there are some apps you could remove to free up more space? You shouldn't need more than 6GB or so to do the biggest Windows updates.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019
    Firstly, which laptop do you have? Which Acer model and how much ram? As 32 GB is just not a go with windows 10, get yourself a larger HDD preferably an SSD and all your problems will be solved! Yes I know that people are on a budget but, HDD and SSD drives are not that expensive and the minimum drive capacity for Windows 10 (if you are running Windows 10) is 128GB (which is a low capacity drive anyway) I would suggest getting a minimum 250GB drive, preferably an SSD as they very fast (inexpensive) and will solve all your problem and also, get yourself more ram, preferably, you should have at least 8GB with Windows 10. 
  • hommerj
    thanks i have a 1tb external drive but windows will not allow me to update to this drive
    either way i think i am going to bin this acer laptop and buy something better