I have a Veriton M6630G, I have autocad on it and want to upgrade the video card to Nvidia 1050Ti th

Turnkey
Turnkey Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
that benchmark says is compatible, even though its a express 3.0 and mine is 2.0, after that I assume I need more power - I have 300w and will need ? 350+w power supply. I cannot find a higher power supply for this machine than 300W / Any ideas?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    It looks to me like the M6630G uses a pretty standard size ATX power supply. What's different that makes it hard to find? The smaller power connector just takes an adapter, all the same power levels are there...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Turnkey
    Turnkey Member Posts: 2 New User

I read on the ACER answer site the following: 

Some of our newer desktops contain a single-rail power supply that is different than many standard 3rd party ATX power supplies. The following models ship with single-rail power supplies:

• Predator G3-605
    • Aspire T3-605
    • Veriton M6630G
    • Veriton M4630G
    • Veriton M4640G
    • Veriton M6640G
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Doesn't really matter anymore. The smaller supplies used back when GPUs were just starting to draw much power would sometimes not have enough power on the GPU rail even when the rest of the supply was plenty beefy. The single rail supplies just didn't internally separate the GPU power from any other power. Modern supplies are rated to provide enough juice to the GPU even when internally designed as multi rail. This is a video with a reasonably good explanation.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.