Hello why my cpu z shows a 400mhz instead of 1333mhz dram frequency?

Kengamingnitro5
Kengamingnitro5 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I would like to know how to fix the issue between my ram frequency speed because when the laptop is not plugged in I only got 400mhz of dram frequency speed as cpu z speed shows, on the other hand when the charger is plugged in to my laptop it shows 933mhz, instead of getting a 1333mhz which is my original ram speed i got 2 sticks of 4gb 2666mhz, so why i am getting 400mhz of ram speed instead of 1333mhz? 

my acer laptop model is an515 - 42 
ryzen 5 2500u and rx560x 4gb graphics card

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    billsey said:
    Yeah, it's normal for the system to throttle things back and save power when you aren't using that many resources.
    thank you for your suggestions, but sir how if I want to fully utilized my 2666mhz, how can i set my dram frequency even higher than 400mhz when it is not plugged in and higher than 933mhz when it is plugged in sir?Because i want to fully utilized my ram so that I can receive a better performance in terms of games and browsing

You can't. providing Windows is set to high performance, you are plugged into AC power and your battery is at 100% before gaming or using demanding programs, your laptop will only use what it needs, programs and games all have there own maximum performance and no amount of extra RAM will make them perform higher than they are designed to do. If your laptop needs to use more frequency to achieve max performance it will. In short you can't force your RAM to use 2666 mhz if it doesn't need it to run a program at maximum performance. When RAM is labelled 2666 mhz it means that 2666 is it's maximum  when on AC and about half that on battery, it doesn't mean that 2666 is it's standard operating speed

Please click YES if I have answered your question even if it isn't the answer you wanted, thank you

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• Kengamingnitro5
    here is my screenshot on cpu z
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,848 Trailblazer
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'power plan'. Click 'choose power plan' in left pane. Set plan from Balanced to Performance mode. Also search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons' do in left pane. Click 'change settings that currently are unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck box for fast startup. Exit. Shutdown. Turn machine back on. Machine must be plugged in and battery near 100% charged for max CPU performance. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Yeah, it's normal for the system to throttle things back and save power when you aren't using that many resources.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kengamingnitro5
    JackE said:
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'power plan'. Click 'choose power plan' in left pane. Set plan from Balanced to Performance mode. Also search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons' do in left pane. Click 'change settings that currently are unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck box for fast startup. Exit. Shutdown. Turn machine back on. Machine must be plugged in and battery near 100% charged for max CPU performance. Jack E/NJ
    thank you for commenting, I have already tried your suggestions but still the dram frequency is 400mhz, how can i set it to 1200-1333mhz to fully utilized my ram ?
  • Kengamingnitro5
    billsey said:
    thank you for your suggestions, but sir how if I want to fully utilized my 2666mhz, how can i set my dram frequency even higher than 400mhz when it is not plugged in and higher than 933mhz when it is plugged in sir?Because i want to fully utilized my ram so that I can receive a better performance in terms of games and browsing
  • andylb
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓
    billsey said:

You can't. providing Windows is set to high performance, you are plugged into AC power and your battery is at 100% before gaming or using demanding programs, your laptop will only use what it needs, programs and games all have there own maximum performance and no amount of extra RAM will make them perform higher than they are designed to do. If your laptop needs to use more frequency to achieve max performance it will. In short you can't force your RAM to use 2666 mhz if it doesn't need it to run a program at maximum performance. When RAM is labelled 2666 mhz it means that 2666 is it's maximum  when on AC and about half that on battery, it doesn't mean that 2666 is it's standard operating speed

Please click YES if I have answered your question even if it isn't the answer you wanted, thank you

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Kengamingnitro5
    andylb said:
    billsey said:

i just want to know sir why my ram frequency is stable at 400mhz, but some other laptop have a fix ram frequency which is 1100mhz while mine is staying at 400mhz, i just want to boost it to give me a better performance even if my laptop is not plugged in. Anyways Thank you for commenting
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,441 Trailblazer
    edited November 2019
    andylb said:
    billsey said:

i just want to know sir why my ram frequency is stable at 400mhz, but some other laptop have a fix ram frequency which is 1100mhz while mine is staying at 400mhz, i just want to boost it to give me a better performance even if my laptop is not plugged in. Anyways Thank you for commenting
    Hi,
    Your module supports maximum speed of 2400MHz, could you please post the snip of Memory speed for memory in Task Manager.
    It should be related to the above or your FSB:DRAM ratio is showing asynch, this may be related to AMD chipset but can not confirm.

• Kengamingnitro5
    andylb said:
    billsey said:

Hi,
    Your module supports maximum speed of 2400MHz, could you please post the snip of Memory speed for memory in Task Manager.
    It should be related to the above or your FSB:DRAM ratio is showing asynch, this may be related to AMD chipset but can not confirm.

he here it says 2400mhz but on cpuz it only gets 400mhz if not plugged in on ac, and if it is plugged in it only have 933mhz. I want to fully utilized my ram frequency, why does it only shows 400mhz? instead of getting 1200 mhz?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    If you heavily task the system, for instance by playing some games, the speed will increase as needed to your maximum.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • andylb
    billsey said:
    If you heavily task the system, for instance by playing some games, the speed will increase as needed to your maximum.

@billsey is right. If you download a stress test app you will see your RAM and CPU running at max
    Download and run Prime 95 to stress your RAM and see it's max performance figures
    https://www.mersenne.org/download/

Please click YES if I have answered your question

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★