Acer Predator G3-571-77QK - 30+ Chrome tabs and 10+ Excel, need more ram?

Ch1m1x
Ch1m1x Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi Guys

I have the Predator G3-571-77QK, 16gb of RAM, 6gb of VRAM, I7-7700HQ, original M.2 SSD and additional 2Tb HDD
Works perfectly in games, but when working, (having 30+ Chrome tabs, 10+ Excel) it lags when I open new Excel sheet, or when I do some big modification at the sheet I'm working on.
My task manager shows that the RAM is constantly 50% used, never more, never less (barely) so that means it's always 8gb that is being used.
When I go on task manager and check the processes, adding the more memory-consuming programs, I end up having maybe 3gb max that is endeed used.

I would like to have a non-lagging experience, is there something that I do wrong? 
I'm looking to buy 2x16gb HyperX RAM, will it help? 

Thank you very much, have a great one!

Best Answer

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,747 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Ch1m1x said:
    It's only open sites or open PDFs
    Excel are not huge sheets, they couple of big formulas but no macros
    OK, si for you it's not the RAM, but what ?
    Give an example of count of columns in your excel sheel - or atleast number of columns and rows on an average. Excel starts to misbehave in terms of time when cell count exceeds 1 million.
    The original ssd is 256gb, is it a problem ? 
    Can I increase the virtual memory without changing the ssd ? 
    Won't help. Increased hard disk size helps only if your disk is over 80% full.
    Increasing virtual memory would not help in your case, for as you said, your RAM is never close to even 80% full.

Also, given this is windows 10, is your laptop hooked to one drive? Are you saving to local disk or one drive? Is that location being synced to your one drive online storage.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon Ch1m1x !

Does your model have only one 16GB RAM bank?
    If so, you should definitely upgrade.

Remembering that tabs of browsers and applications of the office package generate huge amount of requirements.
    This can cause errors and loss of open jobs.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Excel is a fairly notorious memory hog, especially with the more complex spreadsheets. When looking in Task Manager though look at both memory usage and disk usage. I wouldn't be surprised if your memory is at 50% and the disk is at 100%.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ch1m1x

Tinkerer

MaClane said:
    Good afternoon Ch1m1x !

Does your model have only one 16GB RAM bank?
    If so, you should definitely upgrade.

Remembering that tabs of browsers and applications of the office package generate huge amount of requirements.
    This can cause errors and loss of open jobs.

Hi ! Thank you for your quick reply

No, it does have 2x 8gb of RAM,

billsey said:
    Excel is a fairly notorious memory hog, especially with the more complex spreadsheets. When looking in Task Manager though look at both memory usage and disk usage. I wouldn't be surprised if your memory is at 50% and the disk is at 100%.
    Well I've never seen the disc been overwhelmed.

I'll continue with the testing
  • sri369
    Ch1m1x said:
    Works perfectly in games, but when working, (having 30+ Chrome tabs, 10+ Excel) it lags when I open new Excel sheet, or when I do some big modification at the sheet I'm working on.
    My task manager shows that the RAM is constantly 50% used, never more, never less (barely) so that means it's always 8gb that is being used.
    When I go on task manager and check the processes, adding the more memory-consuming programs, I end up having maybe 3gb max that is endeed used.
    Chrome 30+ tabs - what is there on these tabs? Are these processor intensive or just some sites open?
    10+ Excel - how huge are the sheets you are opening? Do they have macros in them that recalculate data in them? If this is the case, adding RAM would not help. From what you mentioned, RAM doesn't even seem to be a problem.
    RAM problem indication: RAM usage is constantly over 90% and CPU gets busy swapping data between RAM and PAGE FILE.

The 8 GB you mentioned as being used - windows 10 itself uses about 3-4 GB. On my heavily optimized system where even programs and services are auto hibernated when not in use, windows 10 takes over 3 GB of RAM.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    Ch1m1x said:
    Hi Guys

I have the Predator G3-571-77QK, 16gb of RAM, 6gb of VRAM, I7-7700HQ, original M.2 SSD and additional 2Tb HDD

I would like to have a non-lagging experience, is there something that I do wrong? 
    I'm looking to buy 2x16gb HyperX RAM, will it help? 

Thank you very much, have a great one!
    Ch1m1x if you are willing to upgrade to 32gb hyperx it will always help and its not cheap but you might have to also increase your windows virtual memory and you say you only have the original ssd im guessing 128gb i would upgrade that too in order to increase the virtual memory (windows can become slow and crashing if you dont have enough virtual memory) especially if you have it almost full 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Ch1m1x

Tinkerer

sri369 said:
    Chrome 30+ tabs - what is there on these tabs? Are these processor intensive or just some sites open?
    10+ Excel - how huge are the sheets you are opening? Do they have macros in them that recalculate data in them? If this is the case, adding RAM would not help. From what you mentioned, RAM doesn't even seem to be a problem.
    RAM problem indication: RAM usage is constantly over 90% and CPU gets busy swapping data between RAM and PAGE FILE.

The 8 GB you mentioned as being used - windows 10 itself uses about 3-4 GB. On my heavily optimized system where even programs and services are auto hibernated when not in use, windows 10 takes over 3 GB of RAM.

xapim said:
    Ch1m1x if you are willing to upgrade to 32gb hyperx it will always help and its not cheap but you might have to also increase your windows virtual memory and you say you only have the original ssd im guessing 128gb i would upgrade that too in order to increase the virtual memory (windows can become slow and crashing if you dont have enough virtual memory) especially if you have it almost full 
  • sri369
    Answer ✓
    Ch1m1x said:
    Give an example of count of columns in your excel sheel - or atleast number of columns and rows on an average. Excel starts to misbehave in terms of time when cell count exceeds 1 million.
    Increasing virtual memory would not help in your case, for as you said, your RAM is never close to even 80% full.

Also, given this is windows 10, is your laptop hooked to one drive? Are you saving to local disk or one drive? Is that location being synced to your one drive online storage.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Yes, @sri369 has a good point. If your spreadsheets are being backed up to OneDrive, Google Drive or such then there could be enough extra network activity to make the filesystem slow. Fire up Resource Monitor to see if anything is maxing out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ch1m1x

Tinkerer

sri369 said
    Can I increase the virtual memory without changing the ssd 

Very interesting
    It is actually synched with One Drive, so your guess is that this creates a latency?
  • sri369
    Ch1m1x said:
    Very interesting
    It is actually synched with One Drive, so your guess is that this creates a latency?
    Very huge impact on performance. My work laptop, when syncing to one drive, takes about 2 mins 20 seconds to do a task that it normally takes about a minute and a half when not syncing. So when doing intensive work, i suspend one drive syncing.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • Ch1m1x

Tinkerer

sri369 said
    Very huge impact on performance. My work laptop, when syncing to one drive, takes about 2 mins 20 seconds to do a task that it normally takes about a minute and a half when not syncing. So when doing intensive work, i suspend one drive syncing.
    Wonderful, I'll try it out then 😉