Headset microphone never worked, how to get it to work

jonbarril
jonbarril Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
E5-575G-53VG laptop. The headset microphone has never worked and I have ignored it until now. Now I need it. Searching online and in the forums it seems that no one has been able to truly resolve this problem (yes the headset has a TRRS plug, yes the drivers are updated, yes every ***** thing in windows 10 that can be enabled for the microphone is enabled, yes I tried a different headset with microphone). It appears to just NOT work on this laptop. Should be the simplest thing ever. Any REAL answers? Did Acer screw the pooch on this one? Any chance of it ever being fixed?

Answers

• Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi jonbarril
    it could be that the port you are connecting to is only output, rather than input/output, or it could be that while it is a combo input/output, it isn't functioning correctly. If it is the first one, the headset would never work for the mic. No input. If it is the second one, then the only fix would be to either replace the port, or connection through a USB instead, using a 3.5mm to USB adapter.

Also, if the headset is a two plug one, then it may be the plug for the mic is not working, leading to the same solutions as above. Either replace the port it plugs into, or get an adapter and connect via USB.

"Hit Like if its helpful"
  • jonbarril

Tinkerer

The laptop hole has a headset (with a little mike arm) symbol next to it so I'm pretty sure that means in/out. My wife has the same computer (bought three of these thinking it was a good computer;-). The mic also does not work on hers. This is pretty disappointing. I would expect better from Acer.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,848 Trailblazer
    What is your headset brand & model? There are two TRRS types. One has the mic input on the sleeve. The other on the 2nd ring.  While both should work, the sleeve often doesn't make great contact with the end of the port unless actual pressure is applied to the plug. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• jonbarril

Tinkerer

One headset is JBL, the other is Betron. Tried pressure. No go. Both work fine on my cel phone so I know the mike is good.
  • JackE
    With one of them plugged in, what happens when you right click on the speaker icon and click recording devices? Do you see on or two mics listed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jonbarril

Tinkerer

One device, the one that is builtin to the laptop
  • JackE
    Pull the headset plug slightly out so only a bit of its end-sleeve is visible. Press down a bit on the plug. Still only one mic showing? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• jonbarril

Tinkerer

Tried partial insert, pressure in various directions. Still no luck. Plugs/jacks are pretty standard, and I tried two different plugs. It works fine on cel phone. Unless Acer got a really bad jack I don't think this is the problem. Thanks.
  • JackE
    I had similar issues with headsets for Yaesu & Baofeng radios but they were admittedly intermittent and seemed to depend on how I inserted the plug. A cheap TRRS CTIA-2-OMPT adapter/extender resolved the issue with both units. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016AHYRNW/ref=psdc_2267280011_t2_B06ZZWH59Z While I can't prove it, I believe the issue was due to a slight misfit between the headset plug the jack's tip and ring contacts.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jonbarril

Tinkerer

Has ANYONE ever gotten the mic to work on an E5-575VG laptop? Can ACER confirm that this laptop is indeed supposed to work with a TRRS headset?

I want to establish the basic before I begin to undertake more extreme measures, like taking the ***** thing apart to confirm connections and continuity to the jack.
  • JackE
    and the tenforums link therein. Try disabling the internal mic just to see what happens with the headset plugged in. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jonbarril

Tinkerer

Tried disabling internal mic and then I have no mic;-) Followed the links. Nothing of note other than the screen shots are pore-windows 10.

At this point I have x3 of these machines and none work with an external mic. Not looking good for Acer. I wish they would step forward and resolve this matter one way or the other.
  • JackE
    Don't hold you breath wishing and waiting for an ACER response on this issue in these user forums.  On the outside chance it's a driver issue, you could try iobit's DriverBooster freeware or similar driver freeware tools to see if it'll pick up anything. If no joy, then for less than $10 I'd still try the TRRS adapter/extender mentioned earlier.  Finally there's the BT headset option. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• jonbarril

Tinkerer

OK. Thanks. BT works because I tried it with my crappy earpiece. Finally contacted Acer directly in San Jose. Will see where that goes.