Is it normal that my I5-8250u can't run CSGO smoothly? (Swift SF314-52G)

WillGT
WillGT Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
For the first 10min of playing the laptop will easily achieve 120fps, however after that it will start to snap to ~20fps for a few seconds before returning to 120fps, and repeating this more and more often. This can be limited by playing the game at 60fps, however the problem still occurs after a longer period of time. It seems to be a problem with heat or power since the Nvidia MX150 card and processor are only at 50% usage, spiking to 100% for those few seconds. Is this normal and is there any way to limit this?
Thanks

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    do you find your fan goes totally nuts for a time?  If so, sounds distinctly like it could be an over heating issue - a decent cooling pad might just do the trick.
  • WillGT
    WillGT Member Posts: 2 New User
    Gawain said:
    do you find your fan goes totally nuts for a time?  If so, sounds distinctly like it could be an over heating issue - a decent cooling pad might just do the trick.
    Not really, and I've started to monitor the heat through Nvidia inspector and it doesn't seem to exceed 70°C. I used to prop my laptop up so that there was more airflow below it, it helped, but not enough to explain how badly the game plays.