Acer Swift 3 SF315-52G (15.6" model) HDD issue + SSD query

Harris321
Harris321 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I own a Acer Swift 3 SF315-52G (15.6" model). It has the configuration of 128GB SATA SSD + 1 TB HDD.
During an windows update, it got stuck for a long time in between saying "scanning and repairing drive D". D drive is my total 1TB HDD. Then I did hard reset and after that my HDD seems weak, also seems to slow the startup process after boot. I ran another check using Right Click --> Properties --> Tools -->  Check.
It detected some error and repaired as per Windows 10. But still I think there is some issue with my HDD. A scan from scanner tool says there's fault in "READ ERROR RATE" in my HDD.
Could someone please suggest what to do ?

Further, in case I need to replace my HDD, I am thinking to buy a Samsung Evo 970 Plus Nvme SSD , so just wanted to check 2 things on this:
a) Is my laptop compatible with Nvme SSD ?
b) Is there a 2nd M.2 slot where I can insert the new SSD, apart from the 128GB one I already have (which is working fine)

Thanks,
Harris

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    If you completely replace the drive you can put in another M.2 2280 NVMe drive. No real problem with having only the one installed. Make sure you create a recovery backup first so you don't end up with a generic Windows load and none of your apps and data...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    No second M.2 slot. If you are planning on replacing the faulty HDD you can put either another 2.5" HDD in or a 2.5" SSD, not another M.2.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Harris321
    Okay.
    What if I completely want to replace both the 128GB ssd and the faulty HDD with a new 512GB Nvme SSD? 
    Also, Is Nvme Pcie SSD compatible?

Thanks 

• Harris321
    billsey said:
    No second M.2 slot. If you are planning on replacing the faulty HDD you can put either another 2.5" HDD in or a 2.5" SSD, not another M.2.
    Okay.
    What if I completely want to replace both the 128GB ssd and the faulty HDD with a new 512GB Nvme SSD? 
    Also, Is Nvme Pcie SSD compatible?

Thanks 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    If you completely replace the drive you can put in another M.2 2280 NVMe drive. No real problem with having only the one installed. Make sure you create a recovery backup first so you don't end up with a generic Windows load and none of your apps and data...