Acer Aspire ES 14 shutting down before battery is low!

witchjo
witchjo Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello! Anyone having this problem? My laptop keeps on shutting down after 60% of the battery, I tried every possible solution including changing the power settings, none of it seems to work. I hope someone can HELP me!

Answers

• Du_little
    Du_little Member Posts: 301 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @witchjo,

1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable. 
    Flip the laptop.  On the back of the laptop there will be a tiny hole.  It is called a battery reset hole.  There will be a battery symbol right next to the hole.
    2. You need to insert a paper clip or small pin gently inside the hole and hold it for    30 seconds. 
    3. Plug all the cables back and turn on the computer.

4. As soon as you turn on the laptop keep on tapping f2.  It will go to bios setup utility
    5. Press f9 once on the bios setup screen.   It will show you bios defaults.  Please press yes.
    6. Press f10 on the bios setup screen.  It will show you "yes" to save the changes.  Please press yes

7.Go to device manager ->>On the list of devices->> click on Battery.   Expand Battery.   
    ->>Right click on Battery item line and click on uninstall
    Restart the computer and check whether you can charge the battery again. 

Hit Accept if its useful :) 

• witchjo
    Hello again! Thank you for replying. I also forgot to tell you that I have Windows 10, when my battery reaches 60%, it automatically shuts off. And when I try opening it again after shutting off, it says low battery. When I plug it in to charge, it charges really quickly. 

I tried doing the things that you mentioned above, but it didn't work. 
  • Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi witchjo
    1. Go to Control Panel > System, then select ‘Device Manager’ from the left pane.
    2. Expand the ‘Batteries’ section. A list of devices will appear. Look for the ‘Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery’.
    3. Right-click on the device, and select ‘Uninstall’. Windows will prompt you to confirm the device's uninstallation. Click ‘OK’ to uninstall the driver.
    4. After the uninstallation is complete, reboot your computer as soon as possible (Windows will automatically detect and reinstall the drivers upon reboot).
    5. Power off your laptop and allow it to charge at least 8 hours or until it is fully charged, while it is powered off (not sleeping/hibernating).
    6. Unplug its power adapter, then power on your laptop and use your laptop battery until it depletes its battery.
    7. Fully charge your laptop again in order to recalibrate the charging sensor.

Hit Accept if its useful  
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    There are also settings in Power Options. Go to Additional power settings; Change plan settings (for your selected plan); Change advanced power settings; Battery and change the Critical and Low battery settings as appropriate.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • witchjo
    Hello! I tried the steps from above but it didnt work. 😢

And @billsey I tried doing that too but sadly its not working still my laptop keeps on shutting down when it reaches 50% remaining on the battery and when I open it says low battery . 😥
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    It will take some time but you can try to reset the battery calibration that Windows is using. Start with it fully charged, disconnect power and let it run until it shuts down on it's own. Then connect the charger and bring it back up to a full charge. Follow that cycle several times and it should get closer to giving the correct values for remaining power. If that doesn't help you might have a failing battery.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.