Acer Nitro 5 - Undervolting limit for the i7 8750h

Options
ItsZenyn
ItsZenyn Member Posts: 11 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just recently bought the Acer nitro 5 with the i7 8750h and the gtx 1060 but every time I game on it the temps goes up to the 90 ish degrees. I've tried undervolting my cpu to -0.170mv but the temps didn't went down(haven't reach blue screen yet) but the screen just went off and turn on by itself.should i go below -0.170mv? (using Intel XTU btw)

Best Answers

• Mainerunr
    Mainerunr Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Your limit may be different than someone else's, depends on whether you won the silicon lottery.  If it shut off at -0.170v, you need to undervolt less.  My limit (for my 9750) is somewhere between -0.170v (shut down) and -0.150v (seemed fine).  I settled on -0125 as I did see temp reductions there that kept it below 90C.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ItsZenyn said:
    JackE said:
    Who's your friend? Jack E/NJ
    Why does that matter?he has the same laptop as mine that's all.

I think the point that @JackE is trying to make is that your friend is entirely WRONG
    Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>I just recently bought the Acer nitro 5 with the i7 8750h and the gtx 1060 but every time I game on it the temps goes up to the 90 ish degrees. >>>
    Try balanced mode power plan. No undervolting. Temps below 94*C are normal for heavy gaming if no throttling is apparent. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• engr146
    engr146 Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options
    Use the pre-configured for 8750H  throttlestop on this site.follow simple instruction and temp will definitely be alot lower.
  • engr146
    engr146 Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options
    Predator-315-51 (8750H) After using the preconfigured throttle stop my temp went from 95c to 70-75c playing arma3 High settings
  • Tom2019
    Tom2019 Member Posts: 227 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi ItsZenyn
    Depends on the game. Some use the CPU more than they should letting the GPU nearly at idle. Raise the laptop off a hard surface to promote better airflow if you've got a wayward game. If you've got Control Panel power plan set to  high performance, plugged in and battery near 100% charge before firing up the load, it probably shouldn't be doing this if you've taken reasonable precautions for promoting airflow. If still no joy, then yeah, I'd try a full factory reset ASAP using the ALT+F10 cold boot method shown in the video below. Don't dawdle too long though trying to fix this because ACER warranty service will take a lot longer than simply returning the machine as defective to the seller for a refund or replacement. 

• ItsZenyn
    Options
    engr146 said:
    Use the pre-configured for 8750H  throttlestop on this site.follow simple instruction and temp will definitely be alot lower.
    where can i find the preconfigured settings for the 8750h?
  • ItsZenyn
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I just recently bought the Acer nitro 5 with the i7 8750h and the gtx 1060 but every time I game on it the temps goes up to the 90 ish degrees. >>>
    Try balanced mode power plan. No undervolting. Temps below 94*C are normal for heavy gaming if no throttling is apparent. Jack E/NJ
    I've tried that the temps still won't go down and there is still the issue of thermal throttling
  • Mainerunr
    Mainerunr Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Your limit may be different than someone else's, depends on whether you won the silicon lottery.  If it shut off at -0.170v, you need to undervolt less.  My limit (for my 9750) is somewhere between -0.170v (shut down) and -0.150v (seemed fine).  I settled on -0125 as I did see temp reductions there that kept it below 90C.
  • ItsZenyn
    Options
    Mainerunr said:
    My friend said that if you undervolt too much, your system will not last long. Is that true?????
  • JackE
    Options

Jack E/NJ

• ItsZenyn
    Options
    JackE said:
  • ItsZenyn
    Options
    But is it true if you undervolt too much,You could shorten your system's lifespan?
  • JackE
    Options
    OK, so you're friend has the same laptop as you. So what? Where does your friend get his information that it will shorten the lifespan of an Acer nitro 5 with the i7 8750h and the gtx 1060? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ItsZenyn
    Options
    He is the IT guy at my class
  • ItsZenyn
    Options
    But is there really no side effect for undervolting too much?
  • JackE
    Options
    Machine shuts off with too much undervoltage. Machine can be damaged with too much overvoltage. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ItsZenyn
    Options
    Ok thanks for your help
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ItsZenyn said:
    JackE said:

I think the point that @JackE is trying to make is that your friend is entirely WRONG
    Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★