Acer TRAVELMATE TMP248-MG will turn off immediately after powering it. Whats the possible cause? TIA

floyd23
floyd23 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I think this is the THIRD TIME that I encountered this kind of problem with THE SAME EXACT LAPTOP MODEL (Acer TRAVELMATE TMP248-MG). I'm currently working as an IT intern and I'm working on these 2 laptops that have the same problem atm. I always suspect that the motherboard is the problem. It's really hard to make a conclusion because the motherboard doesn't have any signs of physical damage and I tested and reseated all other parts of the laptop (RAM,HDD,Wifi Card,etc.) and its working fine. I just wanna know what exact motherboard component is the problem here just for my service report if ever the motherboard is the problem. TIA  :)

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    edited October 2019
    floyd23

Hi,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience.  I will do my best to help you.    First of all we need to find out whether it is a hardware or software issue.   We need to narrow down the issue.  You can always start the computer with and without the battery.   Check how the computer performs with the battery and without the battery.    Once the battery is inserted try to use the computer with the charger and without the charger.   Try to use the computer in a different power outlet.  Also try to use an alternative charger and check.   Also try to check with a alternative new battery.    Try to bypass the surge protector and connect it directly to power outlet.   

These are the basic steps that you need to follow.

Power Drain test for laptop.

If your computer is not having the inbuilt battery follow these steps.

1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.

2.  Remove the battery if it is not inbuilt.

3.  Hold the power button for 50 seconds.

4.  Connect all the cables back

5.  Turn on the computer.

Steps to remove the battery.

1.  Turn off the computer.   Remove all the cables and devices including power cable

2.  Turn the laptop upside down.  Flip the laptop.  On the back of laptop there will be a unlock switch.  You need to move the switch to the left or right and then you need to pull the battery door out.  

If your computer is having an inbuilt battery follow these steps.

Power Drain test.

1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.

Flip the laptop.  On the back of the laptop there will be a tiny hole.  It is called a battery reset hole.  There will be a battery symbol right next to the hole.

2. You need to insert a paper clip or small pin gently inside the hole and hold it for    30 seconds. 

3. Plug all the cables back and turn on the computer.

Step 2

Bios Defaults.

1. Turn on the computer and keep on tapping f2.  It will go to bios setup utility

2. Press f9 once on the bios setup screen.   It will show you bios defaults.  Please press yes.

3. Press f10 on the bios setup screen.  It will show you "yes" to save the changes.  Please press yes.

Computer will automatically restart and it will load windows..

Note:   If none of the options are working you can always reload the windows .    Even after reloading the windows still if you face the same issue only then it is a hardware issue

If the above steps are helpful for you please click "like"

If the above steps resolves your issue please click "yes"

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• floyd23
    floyd23 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited November 2019
    @mohan2018 thanks for responding sir. I'm sure its a hardware issue. I've done all the steps that you provided but the result is still the same  :/
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Will it run without the battery with power plugged in (I can't remember if that's supported with this model)? It could be the battery calibration is way out of whack, thinking it's too low even when fully charged. Is there a chance the battery charging circuit isn't working or the charger is failing? If the battery isn't getting charged then you will see these symptoms as well.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.