What version of BIOS needed for E5-575G-57D4 to boot from NVMe SSD?

DavidMc
DavidMc Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi everyone, i'm new here. I purchased a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD 1TB after doing much reading and research to ensure compatibility with my system. Everything looked good. The SSD fits in the M.2 slot, it is PCIe version 3.0 x4 width. I bought a NVMe external storage USB adapter to connect the laptop to clone the existing drive to the NVMe drive. All seemed to go well. No errors during copy. But after i installed the NVMe drive in the laptop, windows will not boot and shows a stop error saying "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE". It also will not boot into recovery, or at least that i can figure out.

I have tried cloning using Ubuntu live CD and the dd copy command, which gave read errors. Then i tried cloning using AOMEI Backupper Standard from within Windows, with no errors. My next step is to try cloning using Clonezilla on a LiveUSB later tonight. If that does not work, does anyone have a clue what the issue could be? Is the drive just not compatible for some reason?

Is a newer version of BIOS required?

The old drive being cloned is a M.2 SATA drive so i cant directly install both drives in the computer at the same time. I have to use a USB somewhere.

Also, if i take the M.2 SATA drive and put in an external USB enclosure and try to boot, the same "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" error happens.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, David

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,849 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019
    Check this link for info. Some have had success. Some not. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/493903/nvme-boot-ssd-in-e5-575g-55kk-it-is-possible. Because nvme's can be touchy and some E5-575G's may not fully compatible especially above 256GB, you should run  HWInfo64 freeware with the old SSD to see if the m.2 slot is 2 or 4 lanes. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/493903/nvme-boot-ssd-in-e5-575g-55kk-it-is-possible/p1

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,442 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019
    Hi,
    I think the cloning may be the problem or the size of the SSD, anyway, you could try using migrate feature in Minitool partition wizard free program, you need a spare HDD, download and install Minitool partition wizard, install the HDD in the HDD bay, use migrate feature to migrate from the original M.2 SSD to HDD, remove the original M.2 SSD and install Samsung 1TB SSD, use the migrate feature to migrate from HDD to Samsung SSD and see whether it  helps. You don't need to bother about the BIOS.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/migrate-windows-10.html
  • DavidMc
    Ok, after reviewing the links and reviewing HWiNFO64 again, it should work on my system. The exception being if the drive capacity is the problem. There are mentions of only 500GB or less NVMe drives being supported, though I cannot fathom what the capacity of the drive has to do with compatibility.

I am running 7th generation processor and chipset. PCIe 3.0 with only 2 lanes. The dedicated nVidia graphics card is using the PCIe with 4 lanes. 

My only conclusion is something went wrong in the cloning process or the capacity of the drive is somehow not supported for a boot drive. I am ordering a m.2 SATA to 2.5in bay adapter so i can install my current drive in the 2.5in SATA slot and install the new NVMe in the m.2 slot and then clone with Clonezilla. Hopefully that will solve the issue. If not, i guess i will boot windows from the m.2 sata drive and transfer the program files and all data besides windows to the NVMe drive in the m.2 slot. I assume it should still operate as a storage drive at the full 2 lane speed of around 1600MB/sec.

Any other suggestions?
  • JackE
    I'd recommend trying brummyfan2  's suggestion of trying to migrate rather than a usual clone operation. I'm not sure about the latest free versions of PartitionWizard Minitool or EaseUS PartitionMaster but I know that earlier free versions were able to handle the migration job irrespective of the target drive & its size. I haven't used CloneZilla to see if it can do the same. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DavidMc
    edited October 2019
    Ok,thank you! If this doesn't work, I will try the migration. I just assumed that was another way of saying clone, I didn't realize it was different. Thanks!

Could I just migrate directly from ssd drive to ssd drive when the m.2 to 2.5sata adapter comes in or should I still go from ssd to hdd to ssd?
  • JackE
    Yes, you should even be able to migrate (as opposed to normal cloning) directly from the m.2 SATA internally to the m.2 NVME externally using the USB adapter you used before. However, I will still guess that the safest bet is migrating the old m.2 SATA to the new 2.5 SSD like you plan or to a bigger m.2 SATA. Like mentioned before, nvme's can be touchy bleeding edge stuff relative to plain vanilla SATA3.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ