NVMe boot SSD in E5-575G-55KK IT IS POSSIBLE!!

mrollings53
mrollings53 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

For all of those that say the M.2 port on the E5-575 series laptops is SATA only I provide proof that at least the newest laptops with 7th gen Intel processors support PCIE 3.0 X 2.  Throughput is about 1700 MB/s read, and 1400 MB/s write on the Samsung 960 EVO I installed, but that is because there are only 2 PCIe lanes instead of 4.  Either way the drive is at least three times as fast as a SATA interface drive.  Given the fact that there are only 2 PCIe lanes I wouldn't spend a whole bunch on the fastest possible SSD.  Get one that tops out around 1700MB/s read and 1400MB/s write to save a few bucks.

Instructions for my results:

1:  Decrypt any drive encryption.  There can be issues when cloning the drive if it is encrypted.

2:  With laptop off install new M.2 SSD.  My laptop (E5-575G-55KK) included the standoff and screw.

3:  Boot computer, and install NVMe driver from SSD manufacturers website.  Windows 10 comes with one, but the manufacturers driver will be better.

4:  Restart, then clone drive.  I used the Samsung software to clone the O.E. 1TB drive. 

5:  Boot into SSD.  I removed the HDD to do this.  The laptop booted straight to Windows.  It should be possible by using the BIOS, or pressing F8 too.

6:  Format the old HDD.  I have an old SATA dock that I did this with, and used the command prompt with admin privledges to use Diskpart to clean the drive.  This removed all partitions and uninitialized the disk.  Then I used Disk Management to reinitialize, partition, and format.

7:  Enjoy!

Samsung 960 EVO E5-575G-55KK.jpgSamsung 960 EVO E5-575G-55KK-2.jpg

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

Hi,

Thanks for posting the useful information and your experienceSmiley Very Happy

• cas0404
    cas0404 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello,

Can you help me with a pic of the standoff and screw that you have, i'm looking to buy it buy i dont know the size of the standoff and how tall it is 10mm or 5mm ?

thx.

• mrollings53

Tinkerer

Here's a picture of the standoff and screw installed.  I don't have a picture of them separately, because they came preinstalled on the laptop.  Have you removed the bottom cover from your laptop yet?  You should if you haven't; I bet you'll find that you already have the standoff and screw installed. 

Intel happens to sell the standoff and screw for their NUC line of PC's.  I don't know if the standoffs are the same from manufacturer to manufacturer, but these things are standardized, so I bet it's safe to wager they are the same.

Intel NUC Spare Parts

original.jpg

• goblin_techie
    goblin_techie Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

Just recently bought an Acer E5 575 series laptop that came with a 2TB HDD and was planning to add an SSD for the OS. I'm so glad I saw your post; thank you for sharing the information and your experience.

I already bought and installed (including drivers) a Samsung 960 EVO. I've also gotten the Samsung Migration Tool so the next step now is to migrate my OS from the HDD to SSD, but I have a few concerns that I hope you might be able to help me with.

1. Upon checking the status of the disks using Disk Management, the system is telling me that I need to "initialize the disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it." It's giving me two options: MBR or GPT. Which one should I choose? (Or do I even need to do this in the first place?)

2. Should I do the same for the SSD (initialize as MBR or GPT)?

3. Will this affect the migration/cloning in any way?

4. I'm plannning to just change the boot sequence in BIOS instead of physically removing the HDD since I don't have the necessary tools for that approach. Is there anything that I should be careful of with this method?

Sorry if I have a lot of questions. It's been years since I've last tinkered with computers, and I don't want to brick a new laptop.

Thanks in advance!

• mrollings53

Tinkerer

1,2,&3: Don't worry about using disk management. Let the Samsung migration utility do all of the work. It will initialize and partition the SSD as part of the cloning process.

4: That should work too. If you find that it continues to boot from the HDD you can still remove it. There aren't any special tools required that you don't already need to install the SSD. The HDD slides in and out of the drive bay; there is nothing actually securing it to the laptop.
  • JavierVR
    JavierVR Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    Hi! This thread is really useful. I have a E5-575G(-598W) and I'm going to upgrade it with a Samsung 960 EVO through the M.2 port. I know this laptop's M.2 port has x2 lanes, not x4. But I don't mind (I need quick access time [low latency] and quick random read, and those are great with that SSD in my model as I've seen in this forum). The last doubt I have is if I could have the 500GB version or only the 250GB. I ask because I've read that Acer had said that recommended max. was 250GB (for M.2 SATA- I think I've read they didn't know it could run PCIe).

Do you know if 500gb PCIe/NVMe through M.2 port is safe and if it will run properly? 

Thank you so much.
  • JavierVR
    JavierVR Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Excuse me, I post this here by error. It was for another thread. But you can answer too! This post was also useful. Everything about that topic started for me here. ;-)
  • gmp005
    gmp005 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Guys any one here confirm me that Acer E5-575G-5622 Support NVME or not. I am planing to buy Samsung EVO 960 or 970
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    said:
    Guys any one here confirm me that Acer E5-575G-5622 Support NVME or not. I am planing to buy Samsung EVO 960 or 970

Hi,
    You could check that by installing HWiNFO64 free program, install and run it, expand Bus, expand PCIe Bus, highlight PCI Express Root ports and check whether one of them has Maximum Link width of either 2x or 4x, if you have, you can install a NVMe SSD, for more detailed information please read this thread: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/497241/acer-aspire-e5-575-52jf-m-2-nvme-support/p1
  • zelko
    zelko Member Posts: 1 New User
    Owner of acer aspire e15 e5-575g-73aa.
    Installed samsung v-nand ssd 970evo nvme m.2
    Did exactly like you said, everything worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!
  • tommymac
    tommymac Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same here, but have e15 e5-575-33bm. If I didn't see this, I might of returned my 970 Evo nvme m.2 because of all the info saying it wasn't possible, even from acer themselves. Followed exactly what you said and not one problem. Thank you so much!
  • Roadsguy
    Roadsguy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Does this mean that my Aspire E5-575G-728Q with an i7-7500U would support a 512 GB NVMe SSD like the Intel 660p Series (SSDPEKNW512G8XT)? It seems NVMe will work judging from this thread, but I've also heard that only 256 GB is supported for the M.2 slot, so I don't want to buy anything without knowing for sure.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • msplival
    msplival Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

So, I got Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G-5743, and I tried to upgrade existing 96GB M.2 SATA disk to 500GB M.2 NVMe Adata SX6000.
    The drive works fine in the laptop, I just can't boot of it.  (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/567497/can-aspire-e15-boot-from-pcie-nvme-disk/p1?new=1)

Are you booting of the NVMe disk, or from the HDD?
  • ZinAungPhyo
    ZinAungPhyo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

My laptop model is Aspire E 15, E5-575G-70DH, i7-6500U.
    Can it support M2 SSD NVME WD black 250 GB 3Gen PCIE in my laptop?

• msplival
    msplival Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Yes, but you won't be able to boot of that drive. Seems that BIOS does not support booting from NVMe, only from SATA. 
  • You checked this @msplival:

For all of those that say the M.2 port on the E5-575 series laptops is SATA only I provide proof that at least the newest laptops with 7th gen Intel processors support PCIE 3.0 X 2.  Throughput is about 1700 MB/s read, and 1400 MB/s write on the Samsung 960 EVO I installed, but that is because there are only 2 PCIe lanes instead of 4.  Either way the drive is at least three times as fast as a SATA interface drive.  Given the fact that there are only 2 PCIe lanes I wouldn't spend a whole bunch on the fastest possible SSD.  Get one that tops out around 1700MB/s read and 1400MB/s write to save a few bucks.

1:  Decrypt any drive encryption.  There can be issues when cloning the drive if it is encrypted.

2:  With laptop off install new M.2 SSD.  My laptop (E5-575G-55KK) included the standoff and screw.

3:  Boot computer, and install NVMe driver from SSD manufacturers website.  Windows 10 comes with one, but the manufacturers driver will be better.

4:  Restart, then clone drive.  I used the Samsung software to clone the O.E. 1TB drive. 

5:  Boot into SSD.  I removed the HDD to do this.  The laptop booted straight to Windows.  It should be possible by using the BIOS, or pressing F8 too.

6:  Format the old HDD.  I have an old SATA dock that I did this with, and used the command prompt with admin privledges to use Diskpart to clean the drive.  This removed all partitions and uninitialized the disk.  Then I used Disk Management to reinitialize, partition, and format.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ZinAungPhyo
    ZinAungPhyo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

• Theoretically yes!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Luckydprince
    Luckydprince Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi i have this result using HWiNFO64. I am planning to buy NVME M.2 SSD in my Acer E15 E5-575G-55V5 Laptop if this possible or i opt to M.2 SSD only.