Can Aspire E15 boot from PCIe NVME disk?E15 E5-575G-5743

Opciones
msplival
msplival Member Publicaciones: 5

Tinkerer

editado septiembre 2023 en Archivo del 2019
I got an Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G-5743 laptop. It has 1TB plattered disk and 96GB Kingston m.2 SATA SSD. It came with Windows 10, whcih are installed on the SSD. The BIOS was set to boot in Legacy mode (no EFI partitions on the SSD).

I removed both those disks and installed Adata SX6000 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe disk. I fired up Ubuntu installation, and install went fine. Grub installed itself without errors. However, when I reboot the laptop I get the 'no bootable device found' error message.

When I boot from the USB or Network (I boot a systemrescueCD) i can see that all the partitions are there, and that grub is properly installed, it's just somehow BIOS won't boot from it. 

Am I doing something wrong?

Mario

Respuestas

• JackE
    JackE ACE Publicaciones: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Opciones
    >>>When I boot from the USB or Network (I boot a systemrescueCD) i can see that all the partitions are there>>>

What are ALL the partitions that you see on the ADATA card and how are they described? A screenshot would help. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• msplival

Tinkerer

Opciones
    JackE said:
    >>>When I boot from the USB or Network (I boot a systemrescueCD) i can see that all the partitions are there>>>

What are ALL the partitions that you see on the ADATA card and how are they described? A screenshot would help. Jack E/NJ
    Eh, I don't have a laptop close to here, but it's a standar setup. One primary partition, cca 500GB, one extended partition, just for swap. The partition table is GPT, no EFI partitions (as I'm using Legacy boot).

I even tried switching bios to UEFI, the installing Ubuntu - install again went fine, but I was not able to boot. 
  • JackE
    Opciones
    BIOS won't boot from a GPT-partitioned disk. And UEFI bootstrapper also won't boot from a GPT partitioned disk without an EFI partition. If you want to use BIOS, you must install Linux on an MBR partitioned disk. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Publicaciones: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Opciones
    Is the sata mode option in ahci?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • msplival

Tinkerer

Opciones
    So, this is the image of the old SSD (the one that was on SATA disk) is this:

# fdisk -l sdb.img
    Disk sdb.img: 89.4 GiB, 96029466624 bytes, 187557552 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x250c56d6

Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
    sdb.img1   *         2048   1026047   1024000  500M  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    sdb.img2          1026048 186592322 185566275 88.5G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    sdb.img3        186593280 187551743    958464  468M 27 Hidden NTFS WinRE

This is the image file I created. I put that image back on the NVMe disk, so, it is MSDOS partition, no GPT. For UEFI, when I tried, I'm not sure, but I know that Ubuntu installer automatically creates GPT partition table with EFI partition if it detects UEFI. 

I will know more tomorrow.

I also have no idea about SATA mode, but I'm almost sure that one is not available in BIOS for configuration.

• ZinAungPhyo
    ZinAungPhyo Member Publicaciones: 5

Tinkerer

Opciones
    My laptop model is Aspire E 15, E5-575G-70DH, i7-6500U.
    Can it support M2 SSD NVME WD black 250 GB 3Gen PCIE in my laptop?
  • JackE
    Opciones
    It will operate at SATA3 speeds, not nvme speeds, if it fits slot. Safer to buy m.2 SATA3 card. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Publicaciones: 97,716 Trailblazer
    editado mayo 2019
    Opciones
    @JackE The e5-575g models that have a seventh generation processor support nvme, see: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/493903/nvme-boot-ssd-in-e5-575g-55kk-it-is-possible
    You a sixth generation processor will not support NVVME as well?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Opciones

If that's true then it's very important to confirm that the m.2 slot has only one key. If slot has two keys, the nvme won't fit. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ