What should i choose first?

Benny_DK
Benny_DK Member Posts: 24 Networker
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
Hello, So christmas and my birthday is right around the corner and i was wondering what to get first. My current specs are: gtx 970, I5 6400 and 8gb ddr4 ram my computer is a prebuild computer and the model name is G3-710. so im thinking about upgrading to gtx 1660 Ti and 16 gb ddr4 ram but i dont know what to choose first.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It really depends on what you use it for. For regular computing the biggest bang is going to be a combo CPU upgrade to 6th gen i7 and memory upgrade to 16 or 32GB. The i7 runs double the threads of an i5 simultaneously and bumping beyond 8GB is a no brainer for modern OSes. If you are primarily into gaming then the graphics card is top, though be aware you might also need a bigger PSU. Either way it should be a nice improvement over the stock system!
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Du_little
    Du_little Member Posts: 301 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Benny_DK said:
    Hello, So christmas and my birthday is right around the corner and i was wondering what to get first. My current specs are: gtx 970, I5 6400 and 8gb ddr4 ram my computer is a prebuild computer and the model name is G3-710. so im thinking about upgrading to gtx 1660 Ti and 16 gb ddr4 ram but i dont know what to choose first.
    Hi ,
    follow this link, latest updated models https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-models/laptops/predatorhelios300, with the above mentioned specification. Here are few models,

Predator Helios 300

Model Name: PH317-52-77A4
    Part Number: NH.Q3DAA.001
    Operating SystemWindows 10 Home
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-8750H processor Hexa-core 2.20 GHz
    GraphicsNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6 GB dedicated memory
    Screen17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 IPS
    Memory16 GB, DDR4 SDRAM

1 TB HDD, 256 GB SS

Predator Helios 300

Model Name: PH317-52-74KR
    Part Number: NH.Q3DAA.005
    Operating SystemWindows 10 Home
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-8750H processor Hexa-core 2.20 GHz
    GraphicsNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6 GB dedicated memory
    Screen17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 IPS
    Memory16 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
    Storage512 GB SSD
    Hit Accept if its useful :) 

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    It really depends on what you use it for. For regular computing the biggest bang is going to be a combo CPU upgrade to 6th gen i7 and memory upgrade to 16 or 32GB. The i7 runs double the threads of an i5 simultaneously and bumping beyond 8GB is a no brainer for modern OSes. If you are primarily into gaming then the graphics card is top, though be aware you might also need a bigger PSU. Either way it should be a nice improvement over the stock system!
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Benny_DK
    Benny_DK Member Posts: 24 Networker
    billsey said:
    Thanks, and i have checked the Power supply and my cumputer has just the right amount for the gtx 1660 ti
  • billsey
    Good, though remember there are more potential power needs than the GPU. Upgrading memory to a larger size increases the power draw as does some CPU upgrades, and power supplies gradually drop in output as they age. As long as you are aware of that you can watch for subtle signs you are at the edge, and drop a bigger supply in before they stop being subtle. :)