Bootable SSD/Legacy unavailable - Acer A515-52G-58LZ

ramonhpacheco
ramonhpacheco Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I’ve been having various problems with booting and I would like to know if you can help me sort it out.
I was using the HDD with Windows and other computer with Windows on anthe SSD. When I put the SDD into my Acer A515-52G-58LZ it worked apart from some drivers which were quite buggy. So I thought I would just clone the HDD to the SSD and boot form the latter. At this point, on the BIOS, it listed two items on the Boot Order - both named Windows Boot Manager. After a couple tries, I noticed that I everytime it was booting from the HDD. I even tried removing the HDD so it would have no option but to boot from the SSD - let me clarify and say that even though I couldn't boot from it, it was listed and recognised by the BIOS on the "Information" tab. Some software I used didn't allow me to select all the partitions on the HDD and some other software didn't even manage to make it apper on the Boot Order. I figured if I can't clone it, I should at least be able to get a bootable Winodws and have a fresh install. 
Then I used an SD card to boot from. And, again, it was listed on the Information Tab but not on the Boot Order. Seaching, I found that a possible solution would be to change from UEFI to Legacy, but even setting a supervisor password no option to change from UEFI was showing on the InsydeH20 Bios. 

If you could help me either with the cloned SSD or the bootable SD that would be great.

PS: I tried getting in touch with the Acer technical support (chat) was it was very unhelpful.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,849 Trailblazer
    >>>I was using the HDD with Windows and other computer with Windows on anthe SSD. When I put the SDD into my Acer A515-52G-58LZ it worked apart from some drivers which were quite buggy.>>>

(1) What brand and model was other computer?
    (2) What was Windows version was on other computer?
    (3) Was HDD factory-installed on A515-52G?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,443 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Newer laptops are coming out with UEFI only I think, anyway I don't trust cloning method, I would suggest you to use migrate feature in Minitool Partition wizard Free program, this how you can do it:
    1.Download and install MiniTool Partition wizard on the HDD from:https://www.partitionwizard.com/
    2.Run it and use migrate feature to transfer everything from HDD to SSD.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html
    3.Remove HDD and boot with SSD only and once you are satisfied you can delete the HDD using same program and use the HDD for storage leaving your OS in SSD only.
  • reddog000
    reddog000 Member Posts: 24 Networker
    edited October 2019
    Hello ramonhpacheco,

(WARNING YOU WILL LOSE ALL ACER OEM BACKUP FILES IF YOU DO THIS!!!  IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THEM MAKE A FULL IMAGE OF THE DRIVE JUST IN CASE.  DON"T CLONE.  A FULL IMAGE IS MUCH EASIER TO WORK WITH AND DOES THE SAME EXACT THING AS CLONING IF YOU Make it a 1-to-1 IMAGE.  SO IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT THIS DO NOT DO THIS!!!)

I had the same issue when I upgraded my Intel 256GB Nvme SSD to an ADATA 1TB Nvme SSD.  Even after I copied over the 256GB to the 1TB SSD and took the 256GB SSD out of the laptop completely it was still listed as the main drive.  Plus I could not change the size on the new 1TB SSD.  I was stuck having to partition the drive into a 256GB and a 750GB SSD.  Satisfied for awhile but I wanted control of my SSD because I did not want to partition the drive at all.  I wanted a full 1TB Nvme SSD.  I made a bootable USB stick and got rid of everything.  I even purchased a retail copy of Windows 10 on a USB because I thought I would lose the included OEM version.  Little did I know that I did not need it so I wasted $130 for the retail copy of Win10.  You will not lose your OEM version of Windows 10 when you delete everything because it is based on your hardware.  So you basically install Windows 10 from scratch without losing the connection between your computer and the Windows 10 OEM License.  Just make sure that you go into the BIOS to choose which drive you want to boot to.  I just enabled the F12 Boot Drive option in BIOS before I did anything.  <----do that first so you can boot to where you want then once done you can disable it.  Just make sure you press F12 because it comes up pretty quick when doing a clean fresh install.  Once you pick your boot drive you can install Windows 10 as usual.  Like I noted in the beginning you will lose all your ACER Software when you do this!!!!!

That is it....you should be good to go.  New SSD drive with Zero Bloatware.

PS - It did not affect me but the BIOS went back to the original shipping BIOS.  Went backwards from 1.25 to 1.19.  No issues at all.  Cannot say for sure that it will not affect you but it should not.  I also just left the BIOS at 1.19....if it ain't broke don't fix it...especially the BIOS.  Good luck...hopefully this will work for you also.
  • ramonhpacheco
    ramonhpacheco Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    >>>I was using the HDD with Windows and other computer with Windows on anthe SSD. When I put the SDD into my Acer A515-52G-58LZ it worked apart from some drivers which were quite buggy.>>>

(1) What brand and model was other computer?
    (2) What was Windows version was on other computer?
    (3) Was HDD factory-installed on A515-52G?

Jack E/NJ
    (1) It was an LG v24 500
    (2) Windows 10 as well
    (3) Yes, I never put any other parts on the computer apart from the SSD
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,849 Trailblazer
    To avoid corrupting A515-52G installation, you must reinstall its HDD. Then migrate the HDD partitions to the LG's SSD using MacriumReflect freeware by connecting the SSD to the A515-52G's USB port using an inexpensive USB-to-SSD adapter cable.  Then you can exchange the HDD for the SSD.

However, unless you first back up the LG information on the SSD, you will lose all LG system information on the SSD, Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ